Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build & scale the services powering our interactive web & mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely "how it looks" but "how it works." With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives & carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to the Product Engineering Team Lead working through our New York City headquarters.
We have introduced our Flexible Work Philosophy for Squarespace employees, which you can find on our career page. For those who will work out of our offices 1-5 days a week, we have also introduced a detailed return to office approach to guarantee a safe return for our Squarespace employees. The safety of our people is our top priority & we will continue to monitor the status of COVID19..
You'll Get To...
- Write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, & develop prototypes quickly.
- Lead the development of new features & build backend services with Java.
- Collaborate with other engineers & designers to provide intuitive customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users & businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, & writing beautiful, readable code).
- Contribute to team & company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
Who We're Looking For
- 8+ years of development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software.
- An understanding of, & practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to creating readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching & scalability.
- A degree in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Headspace mindfulness app subscription
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- $100 per month remote stipend
- Education reimbursement
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
Squarespace is the all-in-one platform with everything to sell anything, providing customers in approximately 200 countries & territories with all the tools they need to sell physical products, digital content, classes, appointments, reservations & more. Powered by best-in-class design for a consistent brand experience across all touchpoints, our suite of fully integrated products enables anyone to manage their projects & businesses through websites, domains, ecommerce, marketing tools, & scheduling, along with tools for managing a social media presence with Unfold & hospitality business management via Tock. Our team of more than 1,400 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California, & Chicago, Illinois.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.