About Our Company
M.M.LaFleur is a female-founded womenswear company based in New York City. We believe the world is a better place when women succeed, so we celebrate the modern professional woman through our clothing, styling, & community. Our thoughtfully designed pieces are practical, comfortable, & beautiful, & we hope that when you wear them, you feel like the most polished & powerful version of yourself. Our goal is to take the work out of dressing for workwhether that means heading to the office, networking over brunch, leading PTA meetings, or anything in between.
Who are we?
We're a group of go-getters who are passionate about reimagining the way women shop & dress for work. We get inspiration from our customers, & everything we design has a purpose & a human touch. We think big, but we sweat the details, & we take our work (but never ourselves) seriously. Were steady but nimble, thanks to a whip-smart, energetic team thats not afraid to be scrappy. We are perfectionists who sometimes spill on our clotheswe own our mistakes, turn challenges into growth, & evolve as we learn. We embrace ambiguity, celebrate weird ideas, & love a work in progress. We are kind but direct, & we practice Kizukaia Japanese word that means empathy in action. We are incredibly proud of the team weve built, & were excited to continue evolving as we grow.
Our corporate office is located in lower Manhattan, but to prevent the spread of Covid-19, most of our positions are currently remote.
About this Role
We are searching for a highly-motivated & hard-working Staff Accountant to join our lean Finance & Accounting team at MM.LaFleur. The Staff Accountant will facilitate all aspects of inventory costing, inventory management & reconciliation, purchase price variances & in-transit inventory. This role will act as the Finance liaison for the production department. The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented, analytical & not afraid to roll up your sleeves to get the job done. This role will report into our Controller.
What will you do?
- Ensure all production, distribution & design invoices related to inventory are received, approved & posted
- Work closely with the production team, reviewing inventory invoices to ensure accurate recording, investigate & reconcile any differences
- Manage journal entry process & ensure all inventory journal entries are recorded accurately, including, but not limited to overhead capitalization, accruals for warehouse & other costs, purchase price & other variances, in-transit inventory
- Monthly reconciliation of inventory with the production team
- Provide support for analysis of inventory obsolescence & shrinkage reserves
- Maintain & update inventory accounting policies & procedures
- Actively assist with month-end closings
- Assist with other accounting department functions as required
What skills do you have?
- BA/BS degree in Accounting required
- 2-3 years of progressive accounting-related work experience, with focus on inventory costing & control
- Experience in the apparel & retail industry a plus
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
- Strong interpersonal & organization skills & able to work well with a team
- Self-starter who is action oriented & possesses a strong sense of urgency
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products with strong Excel skills
- Netsuite experience is a plus
- Ambition to succeed in a fast-paced startup environment with prior experience working in a mid to small sized company
- A thorough & zero-defect mindset
- Process-oriented & able to make suggestions for improvement
- General interest in MM.LaFleurs product, mission, & core customers