Kargo is the leader in mobile brand advertising. Bringing together creativity, technology & quality, Kargo empowers advertisers to break convention & build connections with consumers on the most important screen today the phone. Through Kargos high-end editorial alliance of world-class publisher partners, as well as its proprietary advertising automation tools & award-winning creative studio, brands & agencies have the ability to reach 100% of smartphone users in the United States with memorable, measurable mobile ad experiences. Kargo & Kargo leadership are regularly recognized for the companys growth & achievements, including: Adweek Mobile Innovator (2017), Business Insiders Hottest Pre-IPO Ad-Tech Startups list (2015 & 2016), the Crains New York Business Fast 50 list (2015 & 2016), the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 award (2016), the EY Entrepreneur of the Year NY award (2016), Great Place to Work (2017), Top 25 Workplaces in NYC (2017), & the 5000 list (2015, 2016 & 2017). Kargo employs 250 people in New York, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Auckland & Sydney.
For more information, visit Kargo at www.kargo.com or follow Kargo on Instagram (@kargomobile), Twitter (@kargo) & LinkedIn (Kargo).
Summary of Jobs Purpose:
Kargo is the leader in mobile brand advertising. Each day, the code we write makes instant decisions on how to handle a billion requests across the globe. Setting up architecture at this scale is complex & requires the collaboration of all of our engineering teams working in unison while educating each other to help us all grow. Whether your interests lie in large-scale systems, machine learning, data warehousing, backend technologies, or client-side innovations, Kargo provides an opportunity to expand your knowledge through exciting projects that reach millions of users every day.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for taking on an integral role in a core Kargo product, our multi-petabyte data lake. We are building sustainable, reusable, & scalable codebases in an agile environment & are true believers of doing it right the first time. We want our engineers to be self-starters, eager learners, who will grow with our company. This is an opportunity to grow & own a critical piece of infrastructure.
You should be comfortable working alongside Engineering & Product teams to develop clean code. Ultimately, you will help shape & define our creative & collaborative processes & will follow a best practice approach to producing high-performing products.
- You are a software engineer who loves working with data & can write clean & effective code.
- Your experience straddles the line between a data analyst & SQL developer. You love digging into data problems to find the cause
- You enjoy building & managing data warehouses
- You like taking business requirements & transforming them into code to help the business users optimize their work processes
- You like building tools to help improve developer productivity
- B.S or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics (or equivalent work experience).
- At least 2-4 years of experience working in the Software industry or a related field.
- A portfolio (i.e. Github) demonstrating past work experience.
- Strong knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle, including QA & deployment processes.
- Experience reviewing other developers code
- Well experienced with at least one major, modern programming language & framework(s), with a preference for Python, Go, or a functional programming language
- Robust experience in writing & reading pure SQL or similar query languages
- Experience a plus with a big data platform such as Snowflake, Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, or Apache Spark
- You can explain the differences between row-based & columnar databases
- Able to bring or research new ideas on how to debug & QA big data systems.
- Some experience with Amazon or Google cloud services
- Experience & comfort in the Bash Scripting & Linux environments
- Clean sense of design aesthetics & a natural propensity towards simplification over-complication.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, & analytical skills