JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the worlds one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco & backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments & Tao Invest, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the worlds largest & oldest industries.
Were an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG & biotech, & were growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. Were actively looking to hire the worlds best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service & business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel EMEA & the General Manager of France, the Corporate/Commercial Counsel is responsible for providing legal & support services related to the regulatory environment, best practices applicable to JUUL products, including advising relevant internal business partners on appropriate procedures & strategy. The successful candidate will have high cognitive capability & the ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams to find creative solutions to problems.
- Develop a deep understanding of Companys business & products & the applicable regulatory requirements & regimes, including the tobacco & related products regulations & regulations concerning e-cigarettes/vaping.
- Develop & draft internal policies, playbooks, & other internal guidance.
- Documentation to help comply with corporate/commercial/regulatory requirements, best practices & industry standards applicable to Company products & operations, including supplementing such materials with day-to-day guidance.
- Identify legal/compliance gaps or risk areas & work with executive & business team members to develop & implement appropriate-scaled programs to address them.
- Oversee & operate any remediation programs to ensure ongoing accountability.
- Structure & negotiate business relationships, transactions, & oversee a wide variety of strategic alliances & business development activities.
- Draft, review, analyse, & negotiate contracts, memoranda & other legal documents.
- Oversee implementation of internal systems to assist & manage flow of contracts.
- Resolve potential disputes and, if necessary, be responsible for managing in litigation.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people & departments to develop & maintain strong working relationships between legal, finance, product, commercial/marketing, people services, operations, regulatory & supply chain.
- Actively oversee & manage outside counsel to ensure effective & efficient use.
- Establish rapport to encourage proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Develop & implement standardized templates & processes.
- Work with internal & external stakeholders to proactively identify market/commercial risks & ensure appropriate risk mitigation strategies & review committees are in place.
- Juggle & successfully prioritise competing & voluminous work streams simultaneously.
- Understand & be able to translate into plain English the legal ramifications of varied legal issues (including regulatory requirements) & clearly & succinctly articulate the risks. Provide advice within the context of the broader business & enterprise level objectives. Manage the deal process to achieve thoughtful, successful & timely results.
- Proactively communicate & manage expectations with multiple stakeholders.
- Prepare & provide presentations to business partners as needed.
- Perform special assignments or projects as needed.
- Incorporate legal entities.
- Advise on advertising, claims & permitted promotions & review of point of sale materials.
- Analyse & advise on European antitrust law issues.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Successful track record of diverse healthcare and/or regulatory & business legal experience.
- Experience in the healthcare industry & working with business partners. Strong preference for experience working with commercial groups on product management.
- The candidate should ideally have a combination of law firm & in-house experience.
- Experience in positively & successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organisational lines. A thoughtful, articulate & effective communicator who can distil & articulate the important aspects of any legal issue to a wide audience of participants.
- Experience of working with a multi-national company is highly desirable.
- Fluent English is required. Additional languages is an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Business acumen, including the ability to see the big picture as well as the detail of specific legal & business issues. High degree of organisation & efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior written & verbal communication skills (including presentations).
- Ability to meet aggressive time frames.
- Ability to build credibility quickly & provide strong legal support for complex & challenging business opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments & oversee areas of responsibility & prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Able to make decisions quickly but also seek guidance when appropriate.
- Ability to interact with persuasiveness & confidence.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds & points of view & ability to create an inclusive environment.
- Personal integrity, sound judgment & strong ethics in business & personal conduct.
- Adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty & ambiguity, committed to personal & professional growth & receptive to feedback.
- Highly motivated with a can do attitude. Ability to self-direct.
- The successful candidate will be entitled to practice law within France & hold a law degree or equivalent qualification with strong academic credentials & will have obtained an undergraduate degree from a college or university of recognised standing.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. Well help you set big goals - & exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed & supportive teammates
- Equity & performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks & drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits & discounts on JUUL products
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles