What's next in music is first on SoundCloud. As the worlds largest open audio platform, SoundCloud is powered by a connected community of creators, listeners & curators who share, discover & influence whats new, now & next in music & audio. SoundCloud is looking for a talented, commercially-minded digital media lawyer to join its Business & Legal Affairs team in New York City. This is a rare opportunity to work right at the cutting edge of digital media, at one of Europes most successful startups. Founded in 2007, SoundCloud empowers the worlds audio creators with the best tools, services, & resources to build & grow their careers. With over 200 million tracks from 20 million creators heard in 190 countries, whats next in music is first on SoundCloud.
SoundCloud is looking for a digital media lawyer to join its Business & Legal Affairs team in New York City, reporting to the General Counsel. We are looking for a collaborative, energetic, business-savvy attorney with transactional experience supporting marketing, advertising & business development teams. You will face unique challenges, work with amazing people, & take on a role that will ultimately shape the way that music & audio is created & consumed around the world.
What you will do:
- Provide ongoing legal support for SoundClouds various marketing & advertising activities, with a focus on advanced media & technology, online & mobile
- Review, draft, negotiate & manage key contracts such as marketing deals, terms & conditions for digital advertising buys/IOs, ad tech agreements, ad reseller & programmatic contracts, & sponsorships
- Respond promptly to legal requests from Marketing, Ad Sales, Partnerships & Business Development & other relevant client groups
- Advise on intellectual property rights issues including copyright & trademark
- Deliver timely, pragmatic, & business-focused legal counsel to internal business teams, even in ambiguous situations
- Ensure compliance with regulatory obligations & deal with regulatory bodies as required with a particular focus on privacy (GDPR & CCPA) & digital advertising issues
- Coordinate daily with US- & EU-based stakeholders across Business & Legal Affairs, Marketing, Product, Engineering & Security
- Provide guidance on business & legal risks, & company policies, to relevant stakeholders
- Contribute to the development of best practices with business teams
- Build & improve standard form agreements & legal processes
- Identify areas for improvement in internal processes & drive implementation
What we're looking for:
- At least 5 years of attorney experience, with a minimum of 2 years of legal experience with marketing, privacy & ad tech, preferably at a digital publisher
- Particular knowledge of the IAB Standard Terms & an understanding of how they are perceived by media agencies
- Experience working with ad sales teams on both standard media campaigns as well as brand partnerships
- Knowledge of privacy & data protection law both in the US & Europe, including GDPR & CCPA
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset; flexible, self-starting & hard-working
- Excellent organizational skills & ability to prioritize multiple urgent projects concurrently
- Strategic thinker & creative problem solver
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty & ambiguity
- Excellent business judgment, communication & interpersonal skills
- Effective at managing project expectations & managing escalation of difficult legal & business issues
- Strong written & oral communication skills
- JD & excellent academic credentials
- New York Bar admission in good standing
- Enthusiastic about SoundCloud!!
Diversity at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity & open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us build a social platform & global community where anyone can create, discover, & share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry, & strive to develop an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute.