At Appian, we're not only about building awesome software, but also about growing our culture of passion, energy, & innovation; great people, great software! As a Director of Product Management you will be a strategic leader on the product management team, overseeing the vision, product portfolio backlog, & product management team for a business unit.
This position will be specifically focused on the foundational software components & core services of the Appian architecture: data persistence & retrieval, the declarative user interface definition & data transformation expression language, & the engines that power automation features. You'll form strong relationships with counterparts within the Engineering department as well as stakeholders in other departments. You will oversee the creation of an impactful vision & ensure alignment between the product managers you supervise & the roadmaps of the feature teams that rely on the core services & frameworks provided by your organization. You will be accountable for the product strategy & feature backlog, the effectiveness & adherence to standard processes of the product management staff that reports to you, & above all else, the business impact of the features your team delivers.
Appian is a low-code application platform that lets businesses rapidly build powerful cloud & mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code. Appian provides full stack automation, uniting humans, bots, & AI workflows. Appian's philosophy of "Data Anywhere" gives our customers the flexibility to integrate data from multiple systems into a single user interface without requiring data migration. All of these differentiators rely on the power provided by the underlying software components that this position will oversee from a product management perspective.
What you'll do:
- Oversee the initiation, planning, execution, & rollout for strategic initiatives.
- Lead the development & ongoing maintenance of a multi-team, short-term & long-term feature backlog strongly aligned to product & corporate vision.
- Initiate & facilitate conversations across business units & departments to reach alignment on strategy, roadmap, key investments & messaging.
- Build relationships with key business stakeholders, keeping them apprised of important features, critical scope changes, planned investments.
- Manage several product managers across the full spectrum of experience levels through the full lifecycle of talent management (forecasting, recruiting, onboarding, 1-on-1s, reviews, promotions, compensation, & performance management).
- Identify & cultivate the next generation of product management leadership.
- Provide constructive feedback on feature specifications to ensure new feature delivery provides optimal impact.
- Coach product managers on balancing functional & non-functional enhancements & system improvements.
- Continuously enhance & improve the product management processes & techniques at Appian.
- Strong technical background, likely as a former software architect or developer who later became a product manager
- Passion for the backend technologies that power enterprise software systems, both proprietary & industry-standard
- Deep understanding of data persistence & reporting capabilities & requirements with respect to enterprise software products
- Strong interest in the scalability, performance, security, observability, & reliability of distributed systems
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable talking high-level strategy with CxOs in the morning & feature details with developers in the afternoon
- Consistent track record of overseeing the successful delivery of multiple features across several teams
- Experience leading the product management processes & people at a software product company
- Multiples years of experience managing multiple product managers at various stages in their careers
- Experience leading impact mapping activities & measuring success criteria
Preferred Experience Level:
9+ years of product management experience; 5+ years of managing people
B.S. in Computer Science or related field
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.