This is a 6-month contract position with the possibility of becoming permanent.
The Senior Director, Production & Operations is responsible for overseeing all physical Production & Ingestion needs for all of Topics non-Studio content, including narrative films, television episodic series, digital series, podcasts, shorts, & documentaries.
This Senior Director will work closely with the Development team & external producers & distributors to develop & vet production plans for shows in development & pre-production (including budgets, schedules, cash flow & overall approach to physical production), as well as oversee production & postproduction on Topic projects.
The Senior Director will act as a liaison between Topic & its outside partners in all matters related to physical production, acquired content ingestion, & oversee Topics post-production executive.
This role includes overseeing all departmental Operations including pitch/development/production project tracking, the teams overall budget, & systems management including month to month & annual review/planning. This role will also oversee & advise on existing systems in order to maximize efficiency as we assess & build Topics production capability.
After six months, as we build Topics slate & as Production needs are assessed, there is potential for this role to become a regular staff position.
Comprehensive working knowledge of the independent film space, film & television industry agreements, guild & union regulations (WGA, DGA & SAG-AFTRA) is required.
Complete understanding of production & post-production budgets is a must.
The Senior Director, Production will be an integral member of the Topic team & will report to the GM, Topic. The role will initially have one direct report, Post-Production Coordinator.
- Work with producers & Topic Management to create and/or vet production schedules & budgets.
- Core responsibilities include overseeing the staffing of productions, cost reporting, vendor & crew deal negotiations, tax rebate analysis, payroll, & any necessary guild, legal & insurance requirements.
- Work with Human Resources as needed to negotiate crew deals & staff up productions.
- Oversee all productions for Topic, to ensure that productions are on-schedule & on-budget, & identify potential problem areas as early as possible. Make set visits as needed.
- Communicate with productions, distributors, & Topic execs on production status across multiple projects concurrently.
- Ensure that producers & distributors have delivery specifications & are properly budgeted to deliver according to spec.
- Assist producers in identifying solutions to location, staffing, vendors & other production-related challenges.
- Manage Topic Post-Production staff to ensure timely delivery to Topic & outside partners according to all delivery specifications, make sure deliverables are budgeted prior to post.
- Work with Topic Finance & Business Affairs to determine appropriate levels of insurance coverage & ensure that all productions are complying with these requirements.
- Establish a strong roster of vendor & staff/crew relationships for a broad range of productions.
- Help develop best practices from pre-production through delivery.
- Oversee all project, systems, & budget tracking, including month to month & annual review & planning for the next year.
Background & Qualifications:
- 6-8 years of experience in production executive roles, line producing or production management across various platforms including film, television & digital content.
- Proven experience of production team management with a major studio, television network or production company.
- Extensive relationships within the production community & beyond is required.
- Excellent communication (written & verbal), interpersonal, organizational & computer skills are necessary.
- Ability to operate with significant autonomy & discretion.
- Ability to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Experience dealing with film festivals (submissions, film traffic protocols, etc.)
- Ability to effectively & efficiently create budgets & schedules for film, television, podcasts, acquisitions, & documentaries. Experience with small to moderately budgeted auteur-driven, independent scripted projects essential.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex projects that are global in nature under extremely tight deadlines.
- Start-up experience strongly preferred, in particular comfort level with performing all production tasks as sole member of department during a parental leave.
- Working knowledge of post-production & content ingestion process: hands-on post experience beneficial, but not required.
- Experience with production budget & management & tracking software tools & databases.
- Experience in generating production reports & schedules.
- Strong cost reporting skills & ability to constantly estimate completion costs throughout a project.
- Strong skills to react to changes in story & production - particularly in our more journalistic & documentary programming.
- Ability to be hands on as needed, owner mentality & accountability a must.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture.
From Academy Award-winningfilms to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues ofour time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism anddocumentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First LookMedia was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, & the soon to launch Topic SVOD service, & plans to continue expandingits mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technologyhelping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.