SVP/VP, Director of Marketing Strategy
The SVP/VP, Director of Marketing Strategy will lead Hachette Book Group’s direct to consumer (D2C) marketing strategies & tactics across channels & platforms, envisioning the technology & infrastructure necessary to support consumer acquisition growth & deepen Hachette’s understanding of the reading audience. They analyze the efficacy of marketing efforts across the company through the lenses of ROI, author & agent relations, & company reputation within the marketplace. The SVP/VP, Director of Marketing Strategy leads a team that works across 28 imprints to implement data-driven marketing strategies & to execute, effective campaigns, utilizing new technology across web, email, & social media (paid & organic), for a wide range of titles including blockbuster commercial fiction, prescriptive non-fiction, science fiction, Christian, romance, history, young adult, picture books & more.
The Marketing strategy team also champions effective online retail tactics, including metadata & copywriting strategies. A successful candidate will be an excellent strategist & brand builder with deep knowledge of digital media, analytics & marketing strategies & an agile communicator, able to build consensus & lead initiatives among the company’s Executive Management Board as well as among the individual publisher marketing teams & sales staff. They will set actionable & measurable marketing goals for the company, around audience development, growth, & retention as well as revenue generation across HBG’s web platforms. They will also drive innovation across the company while dissecting process & procedure to look for time & cost savings. Additional responsibilities include:
- Oversight of HBG’s content management system, which includes the corporate & publisher sites, content verticals such as Novel Suspects, & select author sites. This includes working closely with IT teams to plan & implement upgrades, new feature releases, & SEO.
- Creation of new content verticals & social channels geared directly at consumer acquisition & retention.
- Oversight of Hachette’s email program, including technology decisions, consumer acquisition, & content strategy.
- Monitor working relationship with Hachette’s media buying agency & advertising programs including print, social, digital, programmatic, search, television, OTT, & OOH tactics.
- Champion use of data analytics to improve ROI on marketing spends.
- Collaboration with international marketing teams across Hachette Livre.
- 15+ years of professional experience in marketing, a significant track record in digital marketing, preferably with media experience. Strong interest in book publishing required.
- Proven leader whose ability to build consensus has driven high-level organizational change.
- Ability to contribute creative content & social/advertising ideas that build overall corporate D2C goals as well as augment author brand building strategies.
- Strong communication skills, including public speaking & presentations.
- Effective people person who can develop & manage a strong & ever-growing team.
- Problem-solving skills to create company-wide solutions & then effectively implement change.
- Must be highly organized & results driven, able to take ownership of situations to achieve goals.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product & demonstrate good follow up & follow through.