About General Assembly:
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly, a global education company with a robust press presence & a social media following of 1M+ strong, is looking for a savvy, whip-smart manager to support the public relations & social media portfolios. Check out our recent press coverage here.
Working in close partnership with the Senior Director of External Affairs, this individual is responsible for supporting all efforts related to press & social media, working in close partnership with our marketing & content teams, as well as a highly effective third-party public relations agency, to elevate GAs profile in the press & online.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with a demonstrated track record overseeing media relations & social media for a startup or midsized company, in-house or through an agency. Interested applicants should have best-in-class operational chops, a robust understanding of the media landscape, & a strategic mindset to elevate GAs media profile.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, & writing sample (it can be anything, including something you wrote for someone else - we want to see how you express yourself on the page).
Heres what the job entails:
- Work with GA leadership & agency partners to develop & implement a comprehensive media strategy to grow General Assemblys online presence & brand visibility through press & social media channels.
- Work closely with our public relations firm to surface story ideas, develop pitches, draft contributed content, & support our CEOs outreach to journalists.
- Collaborate with leaders across the business to identify potential news hooks & media moments that can result in press coverage or drive social media engagement.
- Advance GAs contributed content & thought leadership strategy, supporting & advising the development of op-eds, white papers, & other content.
- Collaborate with B2B clients to develop plans & strategies for announcements, launches, & campaigns; interface & manage relationships with corporate communications leads at our clients.
- Manage General Assemblys global social media accounts & oversee the design & implementation of major campaigns; supervise content creation for our Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, & LinkedIn.
- Develop a strategy to increase user engagement across social media channels & grow engagement among our followers, students, & alumni.
- Maintain banks of GA data, case studies, & student profiles to pitch to journalists & tie to specific news pegs & media moments.
Here are some of the qualities & skills that were looking for:
- You have the vision to execute against a multi-pronged press & social media strategy, & the operational chops to seize a news moment through a media pitch or clapback on Twitter.
- You have a nose for a great story, & can quickly turn a new program, partnership, or initiative at GA into a compelling pitch, & you know the exact right reporter & outlet to send it to.
- You work fast & crank out content thats consistently in our brand voice, & can easily write in the voices of leaders in the company.
- Youre a newshound, a pop culture junkie, & have an encyclopedic knowledge of the media landscape & the social media influencers shaping the narrative online.
- You follow the traditional & social media conversations in real time, while having a long-game vision to grow & deepen engagement amongst our network with data-driven benchmarks to demonstrate success.
- You have a razor-sharp sense of humor & a willingness to be provocative, but the judgment to catch yourself when you could be setting yourself up for trouble.
- You know the ins-and-outs of every social media channel, & can navigate the switches in tone & engagement approaches from Twitter to Facebook to LinkedIn without blinking.
- You love collaboration & are excited about the idea of teaming up with our marketing & content teams to create awesome campaigns to drive General Assemblys growth.
- You want to work with bright, collegial people in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment where everything is always changing in real time.
- You care about education & the power that it has to transform lives & communities, & feel strong affinity for General Assemblys mission & values.
Were big believers that nothing can replace good instincts, smarts, hustle, a strong work ethic, a good attitude, & a sense of humor. With that said, candidates with the below experience will stand out:
- A background in journalism or public relations; experience working at an agency or in-house at a startup is a plus (ideally 3-5 years of experience).
- A track record of creating sharp, punchy copy in a brand-specific voice with flawless grammar, spelling, & punctuation.
- Experience building successful media & social campaigns raising awareness & driving engagement around a social issue, policy, product, or company.
- Experience managing social media channels if youve done it for a consumer brand, all the better.
- Strong data analytics chops & experience leveraging data insights into actionable campaigns & strategies.
- Graphic design skills are a nice bonus.