About this Role
Join the team at Fandom & work with great people (fans! Star Wars, Twin Peaks, RPG games). As a Staff Software Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will be responsible for solving engineering problems of the largest complexity & scale within your team. You will be expected to influence the overall vision & long-term engineering goals for the team aligned with the product vision.
- Create, extend, & maintain scalable systems written in Java, Python, Go, & PHP
- Provide technical leadership on high impact projects that impact multiple teams
- Actively contribute to the strategic direction & planning for your team
- Help to enrich Fandoms structured data with internal & external data sources
- Write (Not only) SQL queries that run production, user-facing systems, or extract data from our data warehouse
- Delivers clean, maintainable, well-structured, well-tested, well-performing & documented code
- Help to translate experimental data science concepts into production systems operating at scale
- Design & develop networked services, & provide hands-on assistance to other teams integrating these services
- Share knowledge through documentation, pull request comments, & mentoring
- Develop & refactor software with an emphasis on quality, simplicity, & maintainability
- Work effectively with a globally distributed team
- Learn new technologies, patterns, & processes as needed
- Ensure a high level of quality in your teams deliverables
- Actively cross team boundaries to solve technical issues
- Provide mentorship to your team & knowledge & advice to other teams in your areas of expertise
- Take ownership of high impact projects from inception to production
- 8+ years of professional experience with web technologies at scale
- Professional experience:
- Crafting sustainable APIs
- Database management systems (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Backend microservice experience (Java & python preferred)
- Performance & optimization problems at scale
- Docker & Kubernetes in production
- Leading large parts of a web-scale project from conception to production
- General Knowledge:
- Building automated tests (Jest, JUnit, Mockito, Karma, Jasmine, Mocha, etc.)
- Continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Travis, Github, etc)
- ETL (data extraction, transformation, & loading)
Bonus Points if You Have...
- Experience working with a global team
- Familiarity and/or experience with Big data or Streaming data technologies like Cassandra, MongoDB, Dynomodb, or Kafka
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Training based on business needs
- Flexible working hours
- Open, energetic & fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as wellness programs, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. The fan-trusted source in entertainment, Fandom provides a home to explore, contribute to, & celebrate the world of pop culture. Whether looking for in-depth information on favorite fandoms or whats buzzing in entertainment, Fandom has your pop culture curiosities covered through fan-expert knowledge & carefully curated & fun, original multi-platform content.
Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users & encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & its grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, & deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, & the work we do.
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Police Code, Article 49