As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Cut is in a dynamic conversation with women about the issues that matter to us most politics, intersectional feminism, work, money, relationships, mental health, sex, fashion, & issues relating to equality. Our stories are organized around four categories: Style, Self, Culture, & Power words that provide a loose framework for the myriad stories we tell. It is a pillar of New York magazines digital portfolio, & its editorial staff is part of the larger magazine staff. But the Cut is also very much its own publication, & the premier destination for women with sharp, stylish minds. No matter the subject, we address our readers lives head on, with generous wit, unflinching honesty & undeniable power.
As the next Editor-in-Chief of the Cut, you will lead the site & guide its coverage across subject areas & platforms. You will partner with New Yorks Editor-in-Chief to set the direction of its coverage of fashion, lifestyle, news, & politics. You will be the primary spokesperson for the brand, responsible for reaching existing & new audiences. You will partner with the magazines editorial leadership & contribute ideas for how the Cuts journalism can be best expressed in digital, print, audio, video, & other media. You will be invited & expected to continue the Cuts tradition of creativity & risk-taking, at once sharpening its identity & evolving it.
- Lead the Cuts editorial team, directly managing the leadership team
- Refine & enforce our voice, mission, & point of view, helping guide the team on important editorial decisions
- Represent the Cuts interests & values internally with the executive team & externally with our audience & partners
- Participate in & partner with editorial leadership at New York Magazine
- Identify internal talent to cultivate & external talent to hire, ensuring a diverse range of voices is represented through our work
- Manage budget, make structural changes, & resolve employee issues
- Demonstrated passion for the Cuts content & audience, especially within our core coverage areas: style, self, culture, & power
- Exceptional creative, editorial, & leadership skills
- Commitment to smart, engaging storytelling, social listening, & creating meaningful editorial experiences for a diverse audience
- Track record of ideating & assigning stories & packages that drive essential conversation
- 8+ years experience managing a team of journalists across coverage areas, cultivating an inclusive environment
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.