The Design Solutions Department at Magic Leap is seeking a Lead Character Technical Artist with a specialization in rigging & animation. You will be working closely with a team of artists, designers & engineers to build, maintain & grow the rigging & animation pipeline. Leading by example, you will be responsible for the design, implementation & management of character rigs & the technical animation pipeline. This candidate is forward-thinking, driven & willing to embrace the challenges of developing for spatial computing & the Magic Leap device.
- Work closely with design, engineering & team leadership to build, maintain & deliver rigging & animation support systems.
- Build tools & rigs in support of avatar development, integrating geometric & animated character data
- Design & implement techniques to improve & accelerate animated asset iteration
- Develop & maintain proprietary code to extend DCC platforms (Maya) & real-time game engines (Unity); including but not limited to asset change management, rigging controls, animation retargeting & pose-based morph target systems
- Experience with performance capture, FACS solves, geometric processing, realistic character deformations
- Ability to work out of your comfort zone to do what has not been done before
- Open & responsive to guidance & direction from the creative & technical leadership
- Degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience
- A self-motivated team player with excellent communication & analytical problem solving skills
- 5+ years of experience building & maintaining digital characters, rigging pipelines, & developing api's for both engineers & artists
- Solid understanding of biomechanics, novel deformation techniques, 3D geometry, linear algebra & data serialization
- Expert knowledge of Maya & experience with Unity a plus
- High proficiency in Python and/or C#/C++
- Indie / AAA game development experience integrating character motion subsystems (IK, procedural animation, character AI)
- Willingness to harness all of the above & dive into creating characters for next-gen game engines & new computer vision platforms
- Knowledge of machine learning, parallel processing & GPU optimization
- Experience with run-time, blend-tree/state-machine based animation systems a plus
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.