Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency & public blockchains for payments, commerce & financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms & products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure & capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 23 billion in circulation & supported over $640B in transactions in the past year. Circles payments & treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account & APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system & digital currency & blockchain based finance. Circles SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising & capital formation to startups & growth companies. Combined, Circles suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global & inclusive financial system.
What youll be part of:
With the mission To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value, Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains & digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient & integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people & businesses everywhere can more freely connect & transact with each other with new technologies for digital money & internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people & companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse & which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees & families, our local communities & our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, & High Integrity.
What youll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel - Product & Regulatory, you will play an immediate & direct role as Senior Counsel & will partner with innovative product teams developing the future of payments & treasury infrastructure for the internet across traditional & blockchain payment rails.
What you'll work on:
- Provide proactive, creative, & effective legal advice to payment product teams responsible for developing cutting-edge products covering: ACH & SEPA payments, wires, credit cards, & other on-ramps to digital dollars as well as open & closed loop payment schemes.
- Provide advice on compliance with US & international laws & regulations for money transmitters dealing with payments, reserves management, financial services, consumer protection & provide legal advice to a wide range of internal clients spanning product, project management, business development, engineering, marketing, compliance & operations teams.
- Support the development & implementation by the Legal team of processes, procedures & metrics to increase the overall effectiveness of the legal services provided to the company.
- Address legal risk in business-centric ways, developing processes to solve problems, strengthening partnerships & advancing opportunities.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant payments & digital currency developments to ensure an ongoing ability to provide robust product area coverage.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication & commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees & families & local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener & to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission & our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity & you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open & honest communication, & you hold yourself to very high moral & ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty & intolerance.
What you'll bring to Circle:
- Juris Doctor degree & active law license in at least one state in good standing.
- 8+ years of experience in payments legal advisory for regulated money transmitters.
- Extensive experience in providing guidance for new products, systems, platforms, & other related consumer finance services including for ACH/SEPA, wires & credit card payment processing.
- Passion for financial technology & the disruptive potential of cryptocurrency & blockchains, are a team player with a sense of humour, & enjoy learning but also mentoring.
- Significant experience in drafting & negotiating complex commercial agreements & end-user terms.
- Experience working in a regulated environment or with governmental entities.
- Ability to learn quickly & support new areas of business & technology.
- Strong development of business partnerships, interpersonal skills, & work ethic.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Slack & Macbook preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.