Were looking for an experienced Java developer to help us design & build scalable & reliable services to support our growing business. We are looking for someone with a passion for developing mission-critical software that creates simple abstractions for complex infrastructure. If you value simplicity, work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment, & are excited to learn, wed like to talk to you.
Technical leadership at Ritual requires impact & ownership. A Senior Software Engineer at Ritual is expected to be effective in the following areas:
- Contribute to architecture:You understand large areas of our system & are able to reuse or add new components to existing architecture
- Scalability & performance:You are always mindful of scalability & demonstrate a meaningful understanding of scalable design & performance choices
- From product requirement to feature delivery:You work independently or lead a small team that can quickly turn product requirements into testable experiments & production ready code
- Code quality & code review:You have passion for quality code & maintain a high standard of style; enforce/update existing patterns
- Team oriented:You build tools that makes the whole team more productive. Improve tools & processes when needed
- Knowledge transfer & mentorship:You share the knowledge you've gathered & help the rest of the team grow
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience delivering high quality software
- Experience building microservices
- Strong OOP & Architecture Design Skills
- Coding skills in Java or C++
- Large systems software design & development experience, with knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Interest in working on a rapidly changing, ever-evolving systems
Big Plus If
- You have technical leadership & team management experience
- You are familiar with Google Cloud Platform, Docker, Kubernetes
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work on an amazing consumer-facing product that our customers love
- Competitive compensation package & equity in the business
- Healthcare coverage & a generous vacation policy
- Daily in-app credit towards lunches & coffees
- Your choice of the development environment to make you most productive
- A pantry full of snacks
- Fun company-sponsored events & off sites
About the Team
The engineering team at Ritual is a small & tight-knit unit. We are driven to deliver high-quality software as quickly as possible to our end users. We are extremely data-driven in our decisions about the product & constantly iterate to provide best customer experience. We are problem solvers, while remaining business-minded & customer-focused.
We are mostly a Java shop hosted on Google Cloud Platform. We are currently in the process of transitioning a monolithic codebase on AppEngine to microservices using Docker/Kubernetes communicating over gRPC. Our data layer is mainly in MySQL, Memcache, & BigQuery. Our customers interact with the application through native iOS & Android apps as well as a web (React) interface. We take a project-based agile approach to software development.
Rituals mission is to digitize local commerce. We are an online marketplace connecting consumers to their local merchants to make the purchasing of goods & services more efficient. Ritual was founded in 2014 in Toronto by a group of serial entrepreneurs & ex-Googlers with the vision of bringing digital efficiency to the local commerce space. Since then, the company has grown to 290+ people & has raised $150 million in venture funding.