Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Cockroach Labs is hiring software engineers for the Engineering Productivity team to support the rapidly growing engineering team at Cockroach Labs.
The Engineering Productivity team builds development tools & infrastructure to enable & accelerate the work of CockroachDB & CockroachCloud engineers. The work that this team does has a broad-reaching impact on the engineering team of over 100 engineers who rely on these tools every day.
The team owns a variety of development tools & systems that encompass the workflow of engineering teams, ranging from the CockroachDB build process to the CI pipeline to internal hosting infrastructure.
A few examples of projects that the team is doing:
- Migrate the CockroachDB build (a complex, multi-language build process) from make to Bazel in order to significantly speed up build times for CockroachDB & CockroachCloud.
- Building a push button automated build & release system for CockroachDB & CockroachCloud.
- Build automation to connect our release pipeline to deploy test releases of CockroachDB to CockroachCloud
- Configure Kubernetes infrastructure on GKE to host internal development tools
- Work with the security team to deploy infrastructure as code tooling to manage our internal development public cloud infrastructure (on AWS & GCP).
The ideal candidate will have broad experience in unix, git workflows, automation, cloud infrastructure, & continuous integration & will enjoy working on a variety of different problems from project to project. You should also enjoy providing direct support & help to engineers, a customer service mindset is crucial for this role!
- Understand the daily workflows of engineers across the team & identify ways to increase productivity & reduce development friction
- Develop build tooling & release management scripts
- Manage our internal CI systems running on public cloud infrastructure
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. Youll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflows, & architecture for CockroachDB & CockroachCloud. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company. Youll be given a small starter project to help you learn about a particular area.
After your first month, you will shift your focus to the teams development tools & you will complete a medium-sized project related to our build tools or release automation.
By the end of the third month, you will be a fully-contributing member of the Engineering Productivity team, having successfully owned & completed a medium-sized project. You will also have developed enough familiarity with our engineering processes to propose & scope new projects.
Desired experience level ranges from mid to staff level. At a minimum this role requires:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 1+ years of hands on experience with GCP or AWS
- 2+ years of experience writing development tools & developing CI pipelines
- Experience with automation & scripting on unix
- Experience with git/github & release management
- Hands on experience with containers
- Exceptional communication skills with a service mindset & desire to collaborate with other engineers.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Reporting to Ken Liu - Director of Engineering
Ken Liu is an experienced engineering leader, having managed engineering teams at several high-growth startups in NYC. Prior, he worked in various industries as a software engineer including Novartis Pharmaceuticals, IEEE, & BMW. In his free time, he spends most of his energy keeping up with his two kids but occasionally likes to relive the 90s by rollerblading.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannoli's with his wife & kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.