Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
DigitalOceans Storage Team is a remote team that builds & operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal & customer-facing services & products. Were creating flexible & powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, & safely as possible.
The Storage Platforms Team focuses on supporting the operations of all Storage teams by providing commodity platforms that unify technology solutions & consolidate & simplify the operational context required to support storage products. This team is responsible for the operations & development of data, messaging, & automation platforms used by DigitalOcean storage products, solving problems of scale & locality for datapath applications.
We are looking for an Engineer who will work on a small team to develop & support current & future storage platforms. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage Platforms team. This position is currently only available remotely.
What you'll be doing:
- Developing commodity platforms to solve complex problems for storage products
- Supporting the operations & management of distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers to design & develop feature rich, & operationally sustainable software solutions
- Consuming from & contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
What We'll Expect from you:
- A passion for developing, testing, & shipping well-engineered code (Go, a plus!)
- Experience testing, automating, operating, & troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems & familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Excitement about designing & operating services at scale or in the cloud
- Familiarity with the classes of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, & message queues (Experience with ETCD, MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, & Consul a plus!)
- A desire to learn automation & orchestration tools such as Ansible, Chef and/or Salt
- Enthusiasm to understand deployment & operations of container orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes into production bare metal or VM environments
- Bonus: Familiarity with HTTP & RPC/gRPC APIs & design
Why you'll like working at DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!