BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
Are you the type of person who is always discovering bizarre kitchen gadgets, coupon codes, or interesting stores & sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop?
We want to hear from you!
BuzzFeed is looking for a shopping- & products-focused writers for paid, three-month, full-time fellowship roles (with the possibility to extend and/or convert to a permanent position) in our New York office. BuzzFeed's shopping section is an expanding editorial endeavor that includes both service-oriented & entertaining content for a shopping-minded audience (see our Shopping page for examples).
The BuzzFeed Shopping & Products Fellowship is a program for aspiring & hungry writers eager to hone their skills, & to learn by doing. The program is a crash course in how to help our audience discover deals & great products through fun & informative formats, from thoughtful & in-depth product reviews to themed roundups & more.
Fellows will work with & learn from members of the BuzzFeed Shopping team. You wont be running errands for senior staff, or transcribing someone elses interviews, you will be pitching ideas, brainstorming, collaborating on non-writing projects, & writing dozens of stories that will be published to BuzzFeed.com & promoted across our social channels. The Fellowship is fun & inspiring, but also fast-paced & challenging.
This is a paid position (starting at $18/hour). The Fellowship allows for candidates to work fully remote in select locations, but there will also be opportunities to work from our NY or LA location when offices are safely reopened.
The deadline to apply for this Fellowship is July 9th 2022. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply.
- Research products in various categories & price points that are of interest to the BuzzFeed audience.
- Write & edit shareable, unique and/or service-forward product roundups as well as SEO-friendly shopping guides or reviews.
- Track & analyze your posts using affiliate analytics.
- Genuine love for the internet & online shopping
- Firm understanding of the BuzzFeed audience & voice
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle critical feedback & improve from it
- Flawless spelling, grammar, & usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
Please submit the following when applying to be a Shopping & Products Fellow:
- Instead of a formal cover letter, please discuss your shopping habits (for example: what do you always buy in-store vs. online, how do you find a good deal, what ~special tricks~ do you use that most people dont know about, etc.)
- Tell us about a couple of products youre obsessed with
- Create a BuzzFeed.com/community profile, & create 2 shopping posts (if doing a roundup, no more than five products needed). When you submit your posts, include This is for the Shopping & Products Fellowship. in the description. Youll be asked to provide the links to your posts when you complete the application. SO, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNITY POSTS PRIOR TO COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION!
- Attach a resume keep it to one page!
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.