Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Technical Support Engineer III will be responsible for managing & resolving challenging issues for Planet customers, partners, & field teams. This includes developing subject matter expertise within the technical support department & collaborating with other team members.
The successful candidate will be able to quickly gain an understanding of the Planet platform, APIs & internal applications. This is a customer-facing role in a very collaborative environment & therefore it requires strong interpersonal skills.
You will build strong relationships with customer engineering teams to ensure smooth product deployments & timely resolution of technical problems. Your contributions will directly enable customers to understand our changing world.
Impact Youll Own:
- Provide technical support to Planet customers, partners, & field teams via email, phone, chat, or in person (as necessary).
- Meet/exceed key performance indicators to drive quality & overall customer experience.
- Build strong relationships with partner teams including engineering, Customer Success, sales, & product management.
- Troubleshoot technically complex issues & understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities in order to develop solutions.
- Disposition & prioritization of product bugs & enhancement requests to the appropriate organization.
- Work closely with engineering to translate customer feedback into potential fixes / enhancements .
- Participate in projects that improve the efficiency, quality, & overall customer experience with Planet products & services.
What You Bring:
- 3+ years experience working as a technical support engineer in a customer facing role
- 3+ years experience in troubleshooting complex technical issues with the ability to understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities
- 3+ years experience in problem recreation & root cause analysis
- 2+ years experience with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Working knowledge of APIs
- Working knowledge of the components in a web applications stack
- Familiarity with GIS applications (ESRI, QGIS)
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery, & remote sensing
- Experience with AWS & container-based technology
- Experience with Zendesk, JIRA, or comparable ticketing systems
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate solutions to technical problems
- Proven ability to maintain a professional demeanor when handling complex user issues
- Ability to manage communications & coordinate resources for critical customer situations
- Ability to work independently, as well as contributing as a team player
- Ability to multitask & prioritize workload
- Willingness to travel as necessary to client sites
- Participate in scheduled weekend on-call support as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education & work experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Customer focused mentality
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Great communicator
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.