theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire a Writer for its editorial team. This team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds. They understand how to write high quality journalism, while putting it in theSkimms distinct voice. This position would be working closely with the Managing Editors & other editorial staff members. This role is not for someone interested in their personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- This role will be primarily focused on creating the Daily Skimm newsletter. That includes writing, editing, fact checking, & publishing
- Produce Skimm Guides & other long-form content
- Partner with business development, marketing, & social media teams to develop creative campaigns
- Assist with other editorial products such as video, audio, & theSkimm app
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- This is not an entry level position. We are looking for 3-5 years of traditional newsroom experience & working in a breaking news environment. This is non-negotiable.
- Track record of working effectively under deadline/pressure
- Being a news junkie
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm & its mission
- A self-starter AND a team player
- Bachelor's Degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Has experience communicating with standards & practices reps
- Experience in media development & strategy
- Experience with branded content
- Comfortable publishing in WordPress
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding & recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine & a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sipn Skimm - a time to catch up as a group & wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY