Product Design Director, Freight Forwarding Platform
Design the products that power global trade
Flexports mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. To achieve this goal, the Flexport User Experience (UX) team creates end-to-end experiences for our clients, partners, & operations teams. We are seeking a design leader with a strong product vision to elevate the current offering & formulate a compelling business & research supported roadmap for the future. This individual sets a high bar for UX quality & knows how to consistently execute at that level. As a key stakeholder in the product development process, much collaboration will be required with Senior Leadership & the broader UX team. To be successful, this leader must be relentlessly curious, embrace change, think deeply, & communicate clearly. Join us as we lay the foundation of our vision for global trade.
As a Design Director on the Freight Forwarding Platform team you & your team will drive the end-to-end user experience across the freight forwarding operations. You will develop features that enable multiple logistics personas & partners to prioritize, plan, & execute international shipments that travel via ocean & air. You will work on products that serve users around the world.
- Help formulate the product vision for your product area.
- Hire, coach, & mentor excellent product designers.
- Inspire your team to push the boundaries towards innovation.
- Help designers collaborate with their Product, Engineering, Research, Data & Business counterparts.
- Be a strong partner to your Product, Engineering, Research, Data & Business peers.
- Align team priorities & deliverables to the companys overall strategic goals.
- Collaborate closely with your Design peers at Flexport to ensure we create a consistent & cohesive overall product.
- Ensure your team leverages & contributes to the Flexport Design System.
- Help evolve our current product design to align with Flexports brand in collaboration with the Brand Team.
- Help elevate Flexports Design community, culture, & processes.
You should have:
- Demonstrate long term thinking around strategic & business focused activities.
- Will have shipped many successful software products, ideally both desktop & mobile.
- 10+ years of professional experience, of which, youve spent 5+ years in management.
- Extensive experience conducting and/or collaborating with user research & data science to leverage their respective insights.
- Will have managed senior individual contributors.
- Have built a team of 10 or more.
- Proven ability to lead through multiple levels of management leadership, & steer an organization.
- Experience managing geographically distributed teams a plus.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.