Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share knowledge, & build their careers. More than 50 million professional & aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, & find job opportunities. We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, & enable the world's developers. The products & services are focused on technical recruiting, developer marketing, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, & many other Fortune 500 names.
The Director of Legal Affairs is an individual contributor & will report to the VP, Legal, to provide counsel on a variety of legal matters ranging in scope & complexity as directed by the VP, Legal. This position provides global generalist legal support across business lines to support Stack Overflows operations in the provision of SaaS & other product sales & services. The Director of Legal Affairs will work with leadership & individual contributors at all levels of the company to provide sound legal advice to ensure consistent & timely legal direction for sales, product & marketing. The Director of Legal Affairs will identify issues & assess risks, & help ensure processes are followed for privacy & other legal compliance. The Director of Legal Affairs will be involved in a range of legal activities including sales contract reviews & negotiations, research, policy & compliance initiatives, & advising product & marketing teams on all relevant legal matters.
What Youll Do:
- Review & draft a broad range of legal documents in relation to various transactions
- Partner with our business teams to provide advice on issues & risks, practical guidance & advice, as well as summarize & communicate legal concepts clearly & effectively
- Work closely with privacy counsel & information security team to help ensure the Companys compliance with GDPR & SOC 2 policies
- Prepare, review & negotiate sales contracts, as well as contracts for Marketing & other teams
- Provide advice & negotiation support to internal clients regarding contractual provisions, compliance, risk mitigation, & assessment. This includes negotiating directly with customers & assisting with establishing and/or maintaining legal documentation for strategic partnerships .
- Summarize complex legal issues into simple understandable language
- Incorporate regulatory/compliance knowledge into commercial work as well as advice & counsel programs initiated by various teams across the company
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver & strategic thinker
- Conduct dynamic legal research & review for both domestic & international matters relevant to the companys operations, policies, & procedures
What Youll Need to Have:
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in New York (ideal) or another state in the US
- Minimum 12 years of generalist legal experience, including at least 8 years experience working as part of an in-house legal department supporting software/SaaS products
- Experience supporting product groups
- Experience supporting sales transactions including advising on, drafting & negotiating terms on customer paper & online terms, as well as working with internal templates
- Experience issue spotting & advising on a broad variety of business, finance, intellectual property, privacy, security, export, software licensing & other issues in commercial contracts including but not limited to:
- Software/technology licensing & development agreements (including SaaS & PaaS)- sales & vendor agreements
- Online terms imbedded in contracts/templates
- Data Privacy Agreements
- Security requirements
- Experienced coordinating with specialized attorneys & compliance groups in a team-oriented approach
- Experience supporting Marketing teams & initiatives
- Complex & broad negotiation experience (in particular, the ability to lead negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), as well as analytical & organizational skills
- Refined & well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance & unique business challenges)
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, work independently with limited oversight & prioritize work tasks in an effective manner
- Proven ability to creatively accomplish organization goals while assessing & managing legal risk
- Track record of processing a large volume of matters quick learner who is comfortable with change
- Collaborative team player with a can-do attitude, balanced with the ability to gracefully communicate difficult messages
- High emotional intelligence, strong judgment, & the highest ethical standards
- Excellent legal research & writing skills
- Strong understanding of risk assessment & risk management
- Dynamic & disciplined thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit & a passion for success in a fast-paced, growing environment
- High degree of organization & efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail
- Professional demeanor & ability to interact with persuasiveness & confidence
- Comfortable working with all levels of business professionals, including senior management & domestic & international colleagues at other departments in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with colleagues located in different time zones
- Proficiency with: MS Word & GMail
Nice to haves:
- Proficiency with Google Suite (e.g. google docs)
- Patent & Trademark experience
- Export control for software experience
Stack Overflow is a dynamic tech company in high growth mode. This is an opportunity to work on cutting edge tech issues, collaborating with some of the best & brightest, while making an impactful contribution.
What youll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, & unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely. Well reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office Youll be in our headquarters in New York City, & enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, & all the espresso you can drink.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.