Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, & team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, & New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, & it starts right here at Gusto. Thats why were committed to building a collaborative & inclusive workplace, both physically & virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are seeking folks who are passionate about fighting fraud while delivering a world-class customer experience. As a Fraud Investigator on the Risk Operations team, you will act as a detective by deep diving into suspicious activity, understanding fraud trends at Gusto, fulfilling regulatory requirements, & be responsible for helping make Gusto the safest & most secure payroll solution.
Risk Operations is at the core of our business & our team is a key stakeholder in company decisions & operations. We currently process +$20bn of payroll annually, but with your help, we will process more in a safe & sustainable way. We are a small, close, fun group that works hard & laughs a lot. No egos here we collaborate & help each other out in a positive environment.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Heres what youll do day-to-day:
- Hunt fraudsters. You are our police force - prevent the bad guys from abusing our system by mitigating & investigating accounts with suspicious activity, write & file SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports), & lead the charge in asset recovery during fraud events.
- Solve puzzles. Fraud is a complicated puzzle to solve. Come up with innovative methods to identify trends, patterns, & ultimately, catch the bad guys. Be an subject matter expert (SME) in account takeover (ATO) fraud & device fingerprinting.
- Operate cutting-edge tools. Scope & drive continual enhancements to our systems & processes to identify & eliminate fraudulent activity.
- Work closely with key stakeholders. Work cross-functionally with internal teams, our customers, & external partners (including banks, law enforcement, etc.)
- Providing support. Work closely with our Financial Crimes Operations (FCO) team & act as a support by investigating complex & suspcious activity, providing guidance & identifying fraud trends. In addition, supporting our AML/BSA team as a law enforcement point of contact & providing documentation on subpoena requests.
- Problem Solve: Support the Risk team through documentation & dissemination of fraud trends, updates to workflows, changes to policies, etc.
Heres what we're looking for:
- Experience. 3+ years of experience in fraud prevention, detection and/or investigation with experience in SAR (Suspicious Activity Reports) writing & filing. Bonus if in the banking or payments industry & have an understanding of account takeover & device fingerprinting.
- Thought Process. An insatiable appetite for problem solving, knack for structured thinking, ability to spot unusual patterns, & sharp attention to detail.
- Values. Driven by a strong moral compass, is objective yet compassionate, & does the right thing every time.
- Discipline. Excellent time management skills & ability to handle multiple projects/tasks simultaneously. Is extremely process & policy oriented. Ability to navigate different computer systems & applications.
- Attitude. Goal-oriented, positive, & proactive. Comfortable in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment. Communicates well with others.
- Background. Minimum four year accredited university/college degree.
- Software Skills. Microsoft Excel spreadsheets experience importing, exporting, & manipulating data & Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint) skills
Brownie points for:
- Professional certifications (CFE)
- Payroll industry experience
- Professional Tech experience
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Proficient in Excel
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $56,000 - $82,500 in Denver & most remote locations, & $70,000 - $99,500 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience & expertise & may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life & so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values & our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state & local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.