Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
Were a tight-knit & highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, & product writers working closely with engineers & product managers to discover, validate, & iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, & delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, & presentations to inspire & inform the direction of the product & company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy for our users, both our customers & our small business owners/professionals (Pros), & delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. Youre an experienced manager with several years of leadership & cross-functional collaboration experience. Youre a great communicator & storyteller, & can help product teams better understand & advocate for their users. Your focus is on qualitative research methodologies, but you also have a working knowledge of quantitative methodologies.
Customers & pros come from all walks of life & every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About The Role
The Experience Research Manager will lead a rigorous research practice within the Customer side of the marketplace. You will be directly responsible for a core team of researchers, both managing its growth & impact on key projects & initiatives. Experience Researchers at Thumbtack are embedded within product teams & serve as advocates for the needs of customers & pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping, managing, & executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) & providing insights that will drive key product decisions. You would be focused on:
- Manage & grow a team of researchers across multiple research disciplines & backgrounds
- Articulate strong vision & identify impactful insights & opportunities to design & product leadership while being an advocate for the role research plays in product development
- Work across company leadership to establish how the entire company should engage with research, including establishing processes, trainings, & best-practices.
- Mentor members of the Experience Research team by providing the 1-1 coaching that individuals require to be successful.
- Guide individual team members' research efforts as well as taking on individual projects & conducting hands-on research if needed.
- Collaboration & Communication
- Collaborate closely as a trusted, strategic partner with a wide variety of cross-functional teams (product designers, product writers, product managers, engineers, analytics, data science, marketing, & other senior stakeholders) to identify & prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Find creative & compelling ways to present & evangelize research across the company to cultivate a highly informed, more effective, & more empathetic organization
- Synthesize user feedback to generate insights & provide timely, clear & concise product & design recommendations.
- Share research findings with functional teams & the company at-large by creating & distributing compelling, impactful reports, & presentations.
- Process & Methodologies
- Apply a pragmatic, structured approach to research while understanding & incorporating complex technical & business requirements into research priorities
- Determine the best approaches & methodologies to apply to company priorities, from strategic discovery research to tactical evaluations of prototypes & design explorations
- Work collaboratively within the Research team & across Analytics & Data Science to assess larger user trends & determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis
- Evolve & optimize the process for participant recruitment & any other research coordination tasks
- Balance the trade-offs between scrappiness & rigor
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-3+ years of experience managing high-performing UX researchers
- 3-5+ years in applied UX research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Demonstrated success translating & influencing product & design decisions based on research insights with key company stakeholders
- Strong understanding of strengths & shortcomings of various qualitative & quantitative research methods, including when & how to apply them during product phases
- Excellent knowledge of research principles, experiment design & facilitation, & using a mix of qualitative & quantitative methodologies that are appropriate for each project
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, & collaboration skills
- MA/MS/PhD in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience coding, writing SQL queries, Python, or statistical analysis
- Experience collecting & analyzing user behavior through server logs, unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), benchmark studies, in-person studies, remote studies, accessibility studies, & surveys
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, UserTesting.com, Optimizely, Ethnio) & familiarity with recruiting & analytics suites
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.