As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Role
New York Magazine energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view & providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content & experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes & creates the platforms that connect New York Magazines content with our audience. Were adept, curious problem-solvers who transform creative ideas into successful products. Great design & user experience are essential to our ability to connect with our readers, & the Digital Design team plays an important role in what New York Magazine creates, ensuring that our products are engaging, useful, & beautiful.
As a Product Designer, you'll play an important part of the design process at New York Magazine, crafting designs that support readers, business, & the editorial voice of New York. The role turns design strategy & insights into elegantly designed products & experiences, & inspires the organization by showing/prototyping what is possible before it is built.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on projects spanning a broad range including site-wide responsive template designs, home page redesigns, special editorial features, rebranding of existing verticals, social media templates.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translate research insights into ideas that form dynamic new products & features, sketch & prototype these ideas to quickly assess viability, & then design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Create & iterate on design projects across the entire product life cycle & multiple product launches.
- Evaluate the success of existing products & features, & develop designs to support business objectives.
- Act as an advocate for the user, reader, viewer or customer in support of those business objectives.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
What you'll bring:
- 3-4 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience, or editorial print experience is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or a related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge & skills, experience with complex typographical systems & hierarchies
- Ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- Enthusiasm & awareness of the design legacy & history of New York Magazine & its digital properties.
- Strong visual awareness & sensibility, & the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- UX, UI, research, storytelling & design process which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Communication skills to help set up frameworks & brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, & make experiences come to life.
- Respect when challenging assumptions; giving & receiving feedback with equal grace.
- Ability to work autonomously & overseeing your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, & willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- A people-focused design mentality.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well rounded understanding of information architecture.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.