GIPHY is the worlds largest platform to search, discover, & create all the GIFs. We're the leading brand in short-form entertainment & visual communication.
GIPHY is integrated in iMessage, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Tinder, Slack, WhatsApp & many more, serving over 7 billion GIFs daily to over 500 million people across the globe. We are also creating the largest distributed ad platform for short form media.
Were a creative & passionate group of GIF-obsessed individuals continuing to build out what we believe is the future of communication. We have big goals & are looking for like-minded, talented people to join us.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Director of API Engineering were looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer who is passionate about designing, creating & delivering highly scalable distributed services to join our API team. The GIPHY API is the core infrastructure that powers both internal & external products including Giphy.com, GIPHY mobile apps, several major, native social media integrations, thousands of indie developer apps, & more.
Our public API services tens of billions of requests & traffics many petabytes of media per month.
What you'll do:
- Design & develop high-availability, performant services enabling millions of people to search for & create GIFs & stickers via public-facing APIs
- Contribute to development & deployment processes as GIPHY migrates its platform to a microservices architecture
- Research & prototype new technologies to be introduced into our systems & infrastructure
- Collaborate with Product & Business Development to realize new products & features
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience (7+ years)
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- Solid background in PHP as well as experience or interest in another language (Scala, Python or Java)
- Passion about system architecture & building distributed systems at high scale
- Comfort working collaboratively & cross-team
- S/he must have a strong ability to grasp complex technical concepts
- Experience developing service oriented systems, REST
- Able to quickly respond to changing priorities & change the development pace of certain services if priorities change
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills & the ability to write detailed technical plans
- Experience working with high scale, low latency system
- Familiarity with *nix & its tooling
- Sense of humor & love of GIFs
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience designing RESTful APIs
- Experience with the JVM & Scala
- Experience with architecting systems
- Start-up experience
This is a full time salaried position, including stock options, fully covered health insurance, 4% 401K match, 4 month maternity leave (additional 2 months of transition), 1 month paternity leave (additional 2 months of transition), free lunch every day, free gym membership & lots of other fun perks.