Company Description|Job Description
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay & be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision & the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been & continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people & businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash & checks.
We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics & FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, & excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience & security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team & find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands & innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, & is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform Department is in the center for many of these technologies & development.
The Data Platform team is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched & valuable ecosystem of data platform & data services that drive innovation for our partners & clients, within Visa & globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning & Big Data), systems & services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, & easy to use, therefore enabling Visa the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective & timely manner to maximize technology/business development & differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business & external clients.
Visa is seeking a Chief Data Architect in the Data Platform department to act as one of key technology leaders to build & manage Visa's data & technology assets in the data Platform, build & maintain Visa Data Lake, enable wide range of application to be deployed & operate in Data Lake.
This individual will act as a trusted technical advisor & strategic thought leader to the Data Platform department. The successful candidate will be comfortable navigating challenging forces in the dynamic payments space especially in big data & data platform areas & be comfortable in a fast-paced environment with significant changes; developing/implementing strategies & processes that enable the organization to innovate & grow fast. You will have the opportunity to lead, participate, guide, & mentor other people in the team on architecture & design in a hands on manner. You are responsible for the strategic & technical direction of Visa Data Platform. This position reports to theVice Presidentfor Data as a Service team in Data Platform & will be based in Bellevue, WA.
Primary responsibilities will include:
Provide Architectural leadership & vision for Visa's Data Platform & Data Lake. Develop & maintain architectural roadmap for data products & data services plus ensuring alignment with the business & enterprise architecture strategies & standards. Able to develop, present & explain the value & vision of proposed architectures & solutions to a wide range of audience.
Provide leadership & guidance on design & management of data for data applications, formulate best practices & organize processes for data management, governance & evolution. Build processes & tools to maintain high data availability, quality & maintainability.
Contribute to the DP strategies & roadmap development to meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies. Ability to translate business concepts to technical terms. Understands & communicates company goals & objectives.
Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals & align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, & cost.
Define & drive technology standard & best practices in the Data Platform areas, & lead some key projects.
Oversee & sign off key architecture artifacts in the group.
Articulate technology solutions as well as explain the competitive advantages of various technology alternatives.
Collaborate with the key stakeholders, other product development groups & software vendors to identify & define solutions for complex business & technical requirements.
Engage with Data Platform customers/partners to understand their needs & provide suggestions/guidance on what data platform techniques are appropriate to solve their problems with pros/cons articulated clearly.
Drive internal proof of concept initiatives. When needed, quickly design & implement a prototype of a system or component with a proper architecture, & then hand over to (may lead) a small group of devs to finish.
Provide mentorship & help team growth especially on technical side.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent field
- Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 15+ years of software development experience including 5+ years of data application or data platform architecture experience with deep technology expertise in the following:
- Architecture design & development of large scale data platforms & data application with simple solutions
- Expertise in design & management of complex data structures & data processes
- Expertise in metadata management, ETL processing, reference data management. Expertise in streaming & batching data processing & efficient & performing organization of data in devices set of data platforms.
- Deep knowledge & hands on experience on big data & cloud computing technologies including Hadoop, Spark, Hive, HBase, etc.
- Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills using languages like Java, or C#/C++/C#. Strong on elegant coding, can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly.
- Strong service architecture & development experience with high performance & scalability
- Technical background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data acquisition & processing, data management, distributed processing, & high availability is required. Experience in statistics, data mining, machine learning & operational excellence of production systems is a plus.
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge & experience on measuring a service from user experience angle.
- Strong on driving for results & self-motivated, strong learning mindset, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures & build durable new ones.
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, & interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues & concepts to multiple organization levels & executive management.
- Deep experience in:
- SQL/noSQL technology. Familiar with Databases like Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.
- ETL, Data Warehousing, Metadata management, Data Governance
- Web Services (REST/ SOAP)
- Experience on data application/platform instrumentation, measurement, log data processing, & monitoring.
- Experience on distributed application performance engineering, mobile application development, database design, middleware, user interface development, & information security engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Strong leadership & team player.
- Strong skills on mentoring/growing junior people
- Payment industry experience is a plus.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the
incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone,
frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers,
reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.