As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven company with global headquarters in Newark, NJ, championing indoor vertical farming & fundamentally transforming agriculture. Recognized by Fast Company as one of the Worlds Most Innovative Companies & by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards, & we need someone special who can bring their experience in engineering to help us grow further. Must be aligned with our mission & passionate about making a difference.
- An incredible change-the-world company with the eyes of the world focused on our success.
- A team of motivated, intellectually-curious individuals to support you.
- Backed by some seriously impressive firms including Goldman Sachs, Prudential, leading VCs, and strategic partners with a view on global expansion.
AeroFarms is looking for a Manufacturing Engineer for engineering support of manufacturing operations & implementation of new systems that meet the business requirements of stakeholders across the company.
In this position, you will play a major role supporting the manufacturing operations, creating line layouts, equipment specifications, integration, troubleshooting, design, functionality & improvement of farming operation systems.
- Responsible for the design, development, modification & implementation of equipment & processes to aid in the overall manufacturing process in a food environment.
- Collaborates with various departments to utilize equipment to improve employee safety, production quality, equipment reliability & overall equipment effectiveness.
- Work directly with production, operations & engineering to ensure schedules, commitments, quality & safety objectives are met.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously while completing project objectives & timelines.
- Responsible for technology transfer from Engineering to Operations to ensure new systems perform as designed & meets all performance targets.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering project proposals.
- Established FAT requirements for equipment & systems, attends FAT testing & approves equipment for delivery to the project site.
- Lead & participate in design reviews.
- Lead, coordinate & support new equipment integration & equipment modifications.
- Independently evaluate existing equipment, methods, processes & procedures & identify opportunities for safety improvement, cost & product quality.
- Hands on support of new & existing equipment & processes.
- Assist with the development & implementation of preventative maintenance programs based on industry knowledge.
- Ensure current safety regulations are followed for all equipment used in manufacturing.
- Submit & track Purchase Orders to align with project deadlines.
- B.S. degree in mechanical, manufacturing, industrial or related engineering.
- 5+ years of experience as a manufacturing engineer in a food processing & packaging environment.
- 2+ years Project Management experience (PM certificate a plus).
- 2+ years direct floor support of food processing & packaging equipment.
- Experience with process/equipment validation, documentation & execution IQ, OQ, PQ.
- Proven track record of delivery on projects involving equipment procurement, integration & commissioning for food operations.
- Hands on mechanical experience, ability to troubleshoot complex mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of PLC controlled systems & ladder logic.
- Strong understanding of food package functionality & interrelationship with packaging equipment & processes.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with cross functional teams in the food industry.
- Experience in creating & delivering presentations to senior management & stakeholders.
- Experience in the food industry using food processing equipment, filling equipment & end of line packaging equipment (experience in hydroponics or agricultural systems a plus).
- Strong knowledge of OSHA & FDA requirements.
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills.
- Ability to participate in & manage work associated with multiple projects across various disciplines.
- Demonstrates creativity & strong problem solving skills.
- Advanced PC skills including AutoCAD, MS Project, Word & Excel (SolidWorks a plus).
- Experience working with automation equipment, structural components, control systems, plumbing & electrical components.
- Physical requirements to work on projects may include lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Site visits may require the ability to climb stairs, walk long distances (more than 100 yards) & stooping, kneeling, or bending for extended periods of time.