Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay & be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision & the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people & businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash & checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics & FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, & excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience & security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team & find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
About the team: Visa Commerce Solutions
Visa Commerce Solutions is a small start-up like team within Visa that works on solutions to allow merchants new opportunities to grow their businesses & build stronger customer relationships. Joining our team means you'll get the best of both worlds: the culture of a fast-paced startup with the security & scale of a Fortune 500 brand. Our group is devoted to building forward-thinking products to give our partners a leg up. Here's a sample of what we've been working on:
- Launched Uber Local Offers in August 2016, a new way for riders to earn discounted rides by simply using the same Visa card on file with Uber at their favorite local merchants
- Leveraging Visa data to power our technology & ensure that we're serving the most relevant, personalized offers to consumers
- Driving value to high profile brands including Dunkin Donuts, Outback Steakhouse, Regal Entertainment, & Whole Foods Market.
- Building out the best-in-class APIs that accelerate the delivery of merchant solutions & data analytics to fuel business growth & strengthen customer relationships.
You can find out more about our products here: https://usa.visa.com/run-your-business/commercial-solutions/solutions/visa-commerce-network.html
We are looking for an experienced & versatile Full Stack Data Engineer with a solid understanding of not only back-end development such as building API's that scale, but also have hands-on experience working with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, & Kafka along with a solid understanding of Data Science principles. Experience with object-oriented programming & scripting languages a must, following test-driven development & Agile processes a necessity. We value competence & initiative - we're more interested in the time you've spent on projects & the quality of your work than your years of job experience.
Ideally, you have fantastic communication skills & are excited to work with everyone from fellow engineers to product managers to QA to business teams & external customers. You're just as flexible when it comes to code: you're comfortable writing big data queries in Hive, to developing backend APIs & functionalities for web-apps using Java, Python & MySQL, & you're excited to work on projects ranging from building user flows to data processing algorithms.
- Conduct requirements gathering with business & developers to ensure clarity of requirements. Lead design review sessions to ensure compliance with development, platform & security standards
- Provide strong hands-on technical expertise performing development of platform framework components
- Identify opportunities for & contribute to improvements in standards, & processes to support a continuous improvement approach.
- Adhereto Visa methodology, develop technical artifacts for sound, high-quality deliverables: from sizing to implementation.
- Workwith on-shore & off-shore vendors, internal staff, & system integrators manage the delivery of required solution components to ensure quality & timeliness of work.
- Design & build the data infrastructure & backend functionality needed to support the data requirements of both internal & external partners
- Design & build the data & API integrations to be used by leading commerce companies
- Design & build the data pipelines between disparate infrastructures in disparate environments residing in different networks
- Optimize existing algorithms & functionality so that we are able to process & return information fast (and we mean really fast...and for large numbers of users)
- Engage with our partners, understand their requirements & translate them to scalable, fault-tolerant functionality
- Follow proper development & testing methodologies to incrementally adapt, plan, & deliver (Agile) & have a rapid & flexible response to change.
4 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 5+ years of full-stack/data engineering/backend, professional development experience (tickets, projects, & code reviews)
- Proficient with object-oriented languages such as Java, C++, Objective C, or Scala
- Solid understanding of communication protocols & experience building backend APIs
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop/Hive/Impala/Apache Spark/Kafka, etc.)
- Intermediate (and upwards) level of understanding of Data Science principles & algorithms, including Clustering, Classification, & Predictive Modeling (Decision Trees, Neural Nets, Regression, KNN, etc.).
- Experience with following Agile processes, test-driven development, adhering to coding standards, & effective version control
- Note: Any technically relevant personal projects will be strongly considered. When applying, please include a link to your personal github & make sure to mention any experience with the following: designing/developing with NoSQL; AWS tools such as EC2, SimpleDB/DynamoDB & CloudFront; building data pipelines; data engineering/data science/big data projects
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours, with occasional after hours meetings to coordinate with global teams.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers, reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.