ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Chief of Staff is responsible for providing ongoing support for the co-founders/co-CEOs as well as the management & execution of a variety of special projects. The Chief of Staff reports directly into the co-CEOs. This is a director level role.
This role works closely with the executive team & senior leadership. It also works cross-functionally across the organization, with close ties to Communications, Operations, Marketing, Sales, & Product. The right person will serve as a leader & culture carrier to the organization.
The Chief of Staff manages, supports, & translates the priorities of the co-CEOs, providing input & strategic support where needed to buoy the executive leadership team & founder initiatives. This person also oversees the founders' office budget & support team. The Chief of Staff role has a variety of responsibilities, with an emphasis on communications.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Drafting external & internal founder communications, including team presentations, network e-blasts, press responses, etc.
- Working closely with the Public Relations team to use the co-CEOs to elevate theSkimm's narrative.
- Managing founder social media accounts & external communications, ensuring alignment with founder brand voice & tone.
- Vetting new business & partnership opportunities on behalf of the co-CEOs.
- Managing the founders' network of contacts & connections & leveraging appropriately for internal company initiatives.
- Facilitating co-CEO approvals & best practices for review of broader team objectives & initiatives.
- Working closely with other key stakeholders & the co-CEOs executive assistant to ensure proper preparation of the co-founders & optimization of founder time.
- Overseeing & leading the scoping of high priority, complex, executive sponsored projects end-to-end & secure stakeholder & working team engagement & alignment up front.
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- BS/BA degree, recent MBA or graduate degree is a plus.
- Exceptional written & verbal communications skills.
- 5+ years experience in communications or public relations. Corporate comms is a plus.
- Self starter; Highly motivated & resourceful with proven ability to lead & execute.
- Exceptional organizational abilities.
- Experience preparing management presentations.
- Experience in the media industry or startups is a plus but not required.
- Ability to execute good judgment, tact, professionalism & diplomacy when interacting with employees, managers or clients.
- Adept at handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, results-driven, rapidly changing environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.