Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
DigitalOceans Cloud Storage Team is seeking a highly motivated & experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers & engineering culture & lead the team developing our software-defined Storage products. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating & monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineers performance, providing coaching, & counseling as needed.
The Storage Systems Team focuses on supporting the operations & development of the data persistence layer of storage products. The team has responsibility for the lifecycle of hardware nodes inclusive of evaluation, certification, provisioning, & ongoing systems management as well as the underlying persistence-layer software such as Ceph.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams & process, who will be accountable for the engineering teams performance & quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, & retention of the team as we continue to grow & scale. This role reports into the Engineering Manager, Storage & is currently only available as a remote position.
What Youll Be Working On:
- Recruiting, managing, & maintaining a world-class remote engineering team
- Planning & executing complex technical projects in & related to cloud storage
- Collaborating with technical leads & contributing to the overall architecture, design, & development of storage projects
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches
- Developing processes & tools to improve team performance & quality-of-life
- Developing processes & tools to improve product performance & quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product & feature rollouts from requirements analysis through implementation & long-term operations
- Collaborating with cross functional teams in infrastructure, operations, support, core services & systems engineering to design idiomatic, sustainable solutions
- Supporting the goals & developing growth opportunities for team members
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication between team members
- Providing coaching & counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning & executing relevant training for the engineering team
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience managing, coaching, & mentoring software engineers
- Domain experience with the cloud, storage, and/or physical infrastructure systems
- Experience shipping products at scale & on-time, with a focus on the customer
- Experience managing & delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC
- Experience developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, & product groups
- Experience with end-to-end quality best practices & their implementation
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, building, & retaining teams
- Experience conveying complex ideas in written, verbal & presentational formats
- Working knowledge of Ceph is a bonus but not required
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!