ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms Engineering team builds systems, integrations, interfaces & applications that help our audience of millennial women better navigate their world. We partner closely with product, editorial, & marketing teams to build innovative products, & are expanding our purview from news & information into tools & features that help our audience manage aspects of their lives.
As our product suite diversifies were looking for a highly proficient full-stack developer to fill the role of Interactive Engineer, who will be responsible for rapidly prototyping & then building in-house tools & interactive modules that will integrate with our current CMS platform. This area of growth for theSkimm is our most important strategic effort, & you could be the person that helps us succeed.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Researching & proposing solutions for interactive components that can be easily integrated & decoupled from current in-house CMS platform
- Rapidly developing prototypes to test & iterate up -eventually evolving into working components
- Partnering with data & product teams to monitor user experience & iterating upon learnings
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Deep understanding of UX & product development
- Passionate interest in emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. innovative interactivity, mobile apps, email, voice assistants)
- Ability to work closely with design & data teams to leverage learnings & feedback from testing & real-world use
- Demonstrated experience integrating with robust & resilient APIs & services
- Experience writing & desire to help others write clean, simply-expressed, practically-documented code
- A stable of former colleagues youve supported & who loved working with you
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- History of ideating & developing proof of concepts & then developing into MVP to iterate upon
- Proven ability to work independently while regularly communicating out progress of projects
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.