Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about designing & operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for someone who is familiar with our stack, understands our tools, is comfortable working remote, enjoys working in open source, & is excited about our mission.
At DO, we believe in: Creating simple, yet powerful, foundations (with ) from which our community can build
The Systems Kernel team delivers on this mission by ensuring DigitalOceans operating system is performant, reliable, & secure.
Our Stack: C, Chef, Go, libvirt, Linux, KVM, OVS, QEMU
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The Systems team is currently made up of about two dozen, mostly senior, engineers located across the US, Canada, & Germany with one engineer in the NY office & is supported by a Senior Engineering Manager. The Kernel sub-team, supported by an Engineering Manager, accounts for approximately one-fourth of the Systems team.
What Youll Be Doing:
While work will vary based on quarterly priorities & initiatives, some examples include:
- Kernel bring-up for new fleet hardware
- Triaging & fixing operating system issues impacting the performance, reliability, and/or security of our fleet
- Improvements to our debian packaging & software delivery processes
- Improvements to our monitoring, alerting, & tooling
- Upstream contributions including Linux kernel
- Performance analysis of OS stack & fleet hardware updates
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
What Well Expect From You:
- Strong technical leadership experience (preferably in the Linux kernel space)
- Experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Experience writing secure, testable & robust code
- Deep understanding of Linux & kernel
- Experience proactively addressing reliability issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Upstream kernel contributions are a huge plus
- Experience with AMD architecture is a huge plus
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!