NowThis is seeking a highly-motivated news junkie & visual storyteller to create social video for our News team, which covers everything newsworthy or notable happening in the world.
Associate Producer is the entry-level video journalist position at NowThis. APs create informative, emotionally compelling short-form video stories for mobile & social audiences.
To thrive in this role, youll need to excel at sourcing news content online, scripting memorable stories, & crafting videos that hook viewers immediately & hold their attention till the very end. The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, a passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold, & a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media.
This full-time role will involve at least one weekend work day each week. The position reports to a senior producer & is based in New York.
Send your resume, cover letter & clips/links with this application.
What you'll be doing:
- Scour a wide range of sources for the most important, engaging, & visual stories in news/politics/culture & quickly turn them into compelling short-form videos
- Find important or buzzworthy stories before anyone else by cultivating unique sources & going the extra mile while hunting for news/footage
- Own the video creation process from pitch to publish (ideas, reporting, scripting, asset gathering, video editing, prep for publish)
- Regularly produce, shoot & edit original stories in the field, live streams of breaking news events, & in-studio interviews & op-eds
- Discover & fact check stories using real-time news-gathering tools
- Master the NowThis video editing style & graphics package
- Channel the NowThis voice, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversation
- Turn around scripts & video edits on tight deadlines (several quickturn videos per day)
- Work breaking news & event coverage as needed, sometimes in off-hours
- Work closely with the Head of Social Video & Publishing, to use data to further optimize, A/B test & overall improve the performance of your videos
The next great Associate, Producer, News will have:
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- Please note if youve had prior experience with Adobe Premiere/After Effects, video editing, filming, analytics, social media publishing, or language fluency other than English
We have amazing people.We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development.We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you.We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity.Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea.Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) & science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR & live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, & if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.