Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
Our Engineering team is smart, pragmatic, & entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, & work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
The Consumer Platform team is being newly formed to improve, own & extend core services & applications in the consumer engineering area, including but not limited to: Our internal API gateway, our front end services, & our internal CMS. This team will collaborate with & provide tools to other teams in the Consumer Engineering teams, including teams responsible for the browsing experience, membership state, retention & growth among others.
About the job:
Senior Engineers joining our team will need to be experienced with developing services & applications in a distributed environment, able to lead through example & have the ability to make difficult decisions with well articulated reasoning. While working within an agile team, the expectation is that they are able to work autonomously when necessarily, provide mentorship to others, & drive continuous improvement of our platform & practices.
As a Senior Software Engineer on our Consumer Platform team, you will work with a passionate group of engineers to improve the scale & performance of our main customer site & its underlying systems. Youll help revamp our public APIs, restructure our site architecture, & fine-tune service calls for optimal performance.
We are at an important inflection point in the growth of RTRs engineering practice & platform, & we are looking for experienced, senior engineers who have a desire to take a great product & bring it to the next level of scalability & performance. Our focus will be unlocking engineering velocity across the Consumer organization as well as finding opportunities to improve performance for our customers.
What You'll Do:
- As a senior & experienced engineer, you will help lead the team in decision making & prioritization against our company & team OKRs.
- Improve our frontend & underlying site infrastructure to optimize load times & improve developer velocity across our feature teams.
- Provide technical leadership & insight based on your skills & experience to improve scalability & performance in our Consumer architecture
- Architect efficient & reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications
- Build UI components & systems to be used by our product engineers
- Assist in the planning & execution in migrating our Consumer services to the cloud.
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, & deployment
- Write clean, testable, & efficient code
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers & lead by example
- You have a BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- You have experience building performant consumer-facing web applications at scale
- You have experience in modern frameworks & design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- You have experience with distributed system performance analysis & optimization
- You can understand, diagnose & effectively articulate technical challenges & solutions
- You're able to handle ambiguous problems & make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- You have previous experience with cloud migrations, refactor & re-architecture of consumer facing applications & data stores.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.