Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a BIM Specialist to join our Design Team, Common Studio. We are looking for an entrepreneurial problem solver & BIM expert to innovate, produce, & contribute at a project & studio level on areas around process & product optimizations, leveraging technology in design & the production of materials for use at scale. The position will require the candidate to look at all phases of the project life cycle & to optimize the design studio by leveraging design & technology. The ideal candidate is eager to roll up their sleeves & create not only the solution but also the content to turn that into reality. This is an opportunity for an outside the box thinker with a reputation as a technologist within the field of architecture, to push our studio forward. This role will report to the Senior Architectural Optimization Specialist.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up at an early stage. Common is at the forefront of coliving innovation & design, & this candidate will make their mark on the space. The ideal candidate is someone who is detail oriented, & eager to get stuck in, & have an impact on studio in a period of high growth.
- Review all phases of the design lifecycle & innovate / optimize process by leveraging technology in design, adding additional capability to the team by sourcing new design solutions & technologies
- Coordinate with all phases of the design lifecycle & problem solve existing inefficiencies via technology, automation & process optimization
- Elevate the quality of work by building out our BIM library of parts, standards, & specifications
- Coach & support project teams & individuals with BIM development
- Establish documented processes, standards, procedures & workflows
- Manage project templates, model management & content development
- Research, source & build a digital library of pre-approved resources, products, & material specifications for use in design & maintain the accuracy of data stored
- Analyze & interpret open home performance data to provide data & feedback to architects for reference in design work, & maintain the accuracy of data
- Assist in the coordination of comprehensive documents including presentations & construction documents
- You will be required to deliver a high quality of work at all times, with particular attention to presentation
- You are expected to work autonomously to see & solve problems, & get the work done, but ask for help when needed
- You will be asked to lead projects & initiatives & work inter-departmentally with peers
- Provide regular updates to management & peers on the status of your projects
- Additional projects & responsibilities from time to time, based on business needs
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Architecture or related field
- 3+ years of professional experience in the field of architecture
- 2+ years professional coordination experience with BIM-related workflows throughout all phases of the design process
- 1+ years of professional Python development a plus
- Familiarity with the Revit API a plus
- Expert skills in Revit, Rhino, Autocad, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign
- Experience with interior architecture, millwork, specifications, facilities or residential projects preferred
- Ability to multitask, track, & coordinate several projects simultaneously
- A professional reputation for being a problem solver, & automation fanatic
- Must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning
- Direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Portfolio showcasing skill & experience with optimization of design through technology required
- This role (may) require travel from time to time
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.