Role: Senior Manager Technical & Consolidations Accounting
Location: Bedminster, New Jersey
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer (Spinnaker)
Based in New Jersey, Spinnaker is a national property & casualty insurance company rated A- by A.M. Best Company; & is a wholly owned & independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted insurance products in 50 states & jurisdictions, Spinnaker utilizes program administrators (PA) & managing general agents (MGA) to access niche markets, focusing on personal lines, specialty lines, & fronted opportunities.
About This Role
We are seeking a committed, experienced, & energetic individual to join our team as Senior Manager of Accounting overseeing the accounting & financial reporting across multiple insurance legal entities, reporting to the CFO. This is a collaborative leadership role accountable for the end-to-end financial reporting process. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, a change leader that challenges & continuously improves existing processes & procedures & will be instrumental in planning & executing the build of the finance department to support the next phase of Spinnakers growth.
- You are a self-motivated & directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous & expected to succeed without heavy direction.
- You have a strong intellectual curiosity & a desire to help others solve problems.
- You are flexible & willing to do what is needed to get great work done.
- And you have a natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced & dynamic.
- Review & coordinate the completion of statutory & GAAP financial statements for multiple insurance carriers, including admitted, non-admitted, & offshore captive.
- Research technical GAAP & Statutory accounting literature, prepare & maintain accounting position memos & policies, & prepare & maintain standard operating procedures.
- Interpret accounting guidance in MGA, PA, & reinsurance agreements. Communicate & implement accounting guidance to subsidiaries.
- Structure intercompany reinsurance & reinsurance pooling agreements.
- Implement, standardize, & oversee internal control environment ensuring appropriate design & operating effectiveness.
- Design, implement & review complex accounting work-papers.
- Design & manage the carrier consolidations process in accordance with an accelerated monthly close cycle.
- Responsible for the timely & accurate processing of financial transactions.
- Prepare quarterly & annual financial statements (GAAP & Statutory).
- Coordinate financial audits & examinations with external auditors & regulators.
- Analyze & review financial data & identify & investigate variances.
- Support the annual budgeting & forecasting process.
- Ensuring that regulatory requirements are met for all appropriate bodies that have financial oversight.
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to improve financial reporting & provide support to the business.
- Identify & rollout best practices to increase the efficiency & effectiveness of the accounting & financial reporting function.
- Assist in identifying system needs & deployment of new technology.
- Bachelors degree in accounting or finance
- 10+ years in the property & casualty insurance industry
- 10+ years in finance & accounting roles with leadership experience
- Experience interpreting complex reinsurance contracts & program administrator agreements
- Expert knowledge of US Statutory & US GAAP accounting principles
- Expert knowledge of ceded reinsurance accounting, Schedule F, & Schedule P
- Outstanding analytical & problem-solving skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Detail oriented
- Advanced Excel skills & experience with financial reporting systems
- Experience with insurance data & associated databases
- Exhibits an understanding of risk management & internal control frameworks, such as ORSA, COSO, Sarbanes-Oxley
- Big-4 Public accounting experience (preferred but not required)
- Certified Public Accountant (preferred but not required)
Compensation & Perks
- Fast-paced, close-knit, office located in Bedminster, NJ
- Flexible, uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Full time salary based on experience & equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, ltd, std, EAP, & flexible spending accounts
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Spinnaker is a wholly owned, but independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, & we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity & inclusion.
Hippos applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippos People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.