At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. Were improving the worlds economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We care intensely about each other, our company & the customers we serve, & are committed to making every day count.
As Manager of Strategic Initiatives, you will partner very closely with the CEO & the executive team on core business initiatives. We are looking for a highly motivated problem solver to join our team.
Reporting to & supporting the CEO, the Managerof Strategic Initiatives is a highly influential & visible role at OnDeck combining strategic planning, business management, & process improvement across a fast-moving financial technology business. The Managerof Strategic Initiatives is the CEOs partner in preparing the companys short-term & long-term strategic roadmap & enabling the executive team to operate efficiently & effectively in executing the plans of the company.
This individual works alongside the CEO to align execution to goals, to conduct meaningful research & analysis to facilitate faster decision-making, & to ensure communication & reporting are happening smoothly & consistently. Interacting across multiple functional areas, this individual will support the leadership teams efforts, work on interdepartmental projects, & facilitate strategic communication across OnDeck.
The Managerof Strategic Initiatives (MSI) should have excellent project management skills to support cross-functional initiatives & to drive initiatives forward. He/she will often operate independently & with minimal supervision, & thus must possess strong personal drive, self-direction, & judgment. This role also requires an extremely high level of integrity, professionalism & discretion given the level of access to company information.
What is in it for you?This role will offer you exposure across all departments & levels with unfiltered insight into how we make business decisions & move the business forward. You will have an all access passport to learn about every aspect of the company & be involved in informing many different facets of the business. You will have the unique opportunity to work alongside a supportive, accessible & personable executive team. You will report to a creative, driven, & highly dedicated CEO who entrusts you to be his advisor, challenges you, & provides immensely valuable mentorship. This role will prepare you for a variety of different roles at OnDeck in the future. The expectation is this role will last for one year at which point the MSI will transition to another area of the business & train their replacement.
As a Manager of Strategic Initiatives at OnDeck, you will:
- Board & Management Support (70%)
- Manage the agenda for OnDecks weekly executive & monthly management meeting. Ensure that proper coordination & communication between teams is as efficient as possible. Follow up with leaders to ensure they are driving relevant initiatives forward.
- Have an active role in developing monthly executive off-site meetings partnering with CEO on agenda, capturing insights, & following up with executives as needed.
- Help the CEO & other key decision-makers develop short-term & long-term strategy goals & support execution; track progress to measure effectiveness of strategy
- Develop Board of Directors agenda, prepare effective materials, & facilitate contributions across several teams across the organization.
- Design the communication approach & presentation materials for the CEOs industry conferences & external audiences spanning a variety of different topics
- Develop OnDecks monthly Town Hall meetings by working with People Operations Culture team, TechOps, & various other internal teams to ensure effective & engaging meetings across all offices.
- Strategic Initiatives (30%)
- Contribute to strategic projects (i.e. new product, new market, etc.) via analytics, research, & consumer insights, cross-company collaboration, etc. This requires a deep aptitude for numbers & the ability to distill complex business & product strategies.
- Perform strategic & financial analysis for the CEO & the executive team for special internal projects.
- Develop strategic frameworks as well as translate key themes & tactics into understandable, executable components & messages for broad consumption.
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Resourceful. Ability to be self-directed in finding answers, can develop a trusted coalition of advisors to help provide support, will seek out direction & insight when needed.
- Passion for process improvement. Never settling for the status-quo, able to identify improvements in the way things are done.
- Smart as a whip.A keen intellect, combining analytical reasoning, curiosity, creativity, conceptual ability & judgment. Quick study, able to handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills.Personable & can quickly engender peoples confidences. Able to lead effectively without authority. Capable of building relationships, a good listener with outstanding interpersonal influencing qualities & a natural consultative style. Builds positive relationships with others to gain buy-in & achieve business results. Demonstrates active listening & practices open, honest & direct communication.
- Quantitatively inclined.Strong business acumen, financial skills, & analytical abilities. Financial modeling skills are highly preferred.
- Outstanding communicator.Possesses good written/oral communications skills, as well as the ability to present his/her views in a clear & compelling manner. Can effectively tailor communication to specific audiences. Adapts approach to fit the situation & audience. Has keen attention to detail, flawlessly executing role responsibilities. Stays open minded & proactively keeps communication going to move initiatives forward.
- Project management.Capable of executing on both short- & medium-term projects & objectives. Willing to do what it takes to hit deadlines that may be externally imposed. Organized & able to anticipate issues or conflicts as they come up.
- Positive can-do attitude. Strong passion for helping SMB customers succeed & doing what it takes to help drive company initiatives forward. Understands how to navigate the organization effectively to accomplish business & department goals.
- Trusted partner, working under confidentiality.Able to handle confidential information, is trustworthy, & can act with discretion & professionalism.
- Professional Courage.Willing to take risks, aiming high to drive OnDeck forward. Has the courage to talk straight & ask tough questions. Is open to & accepts of change, adapting to our evolving business. Proactively raises challenges & identifies solutions.
- Operates at multiple levels.Able to deal effectively with strategic issues, as well as the tactical, operational details.
- Understands a sense of urgency & is accessible outside of office hours.
- Expert in PowerPoint & Excel.
- 3-5 years of work experience.Prior experience in strategy, management consulting, project management, investment banking or as a general manager is a plus. (MBA strongly preferred).
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by over 80,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build growing & thriving enterprises. Since 2007, weve issued over $10 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, were reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company & the customers we serve, & are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble & strong enough to make a big impact.
OnDeck believes that each & every team member plays an important role in our companys success. Thats why we strive to provide you & your family with a competitive & comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options & opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Built in NYCs Best Places to Work, 2019
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Crains New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Crains New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Denver Business Journal Largest Technology Employers in Denver, March 2019
- FinTech Breakthrough Award Best Overall LendTech Company, 2018
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance & Insurance, 2016
- Fortune.com & Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! Peoples Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Forbes Americas Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Great Place to Work Certification, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Inc. Hire Power, 2013
- Lending Trees Top Rated Customer Satisfaction, Q1 2018
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- US News & World Report, Best Unsecured Business Loans of 2018 Best for Term Loans
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive & diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDecks employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to & including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**