Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer, making it easy to launch & manage web infrastructure. We are working on solving some of the most challenging & interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
Our Business Operations unit interfaces with the rest of DigitalOcean to ensure our ability to execute on our product vision & support our growing customer base in a data-driven & efficient manner. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will join a growing Data & Analytics team that partners with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing robust & relevant analysis, insights & data products. The D&A team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust & safety data, & operational/infrastructure data.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop predictive models on large-scale datasets to address a wide range of business problems
- Take end-to-end ownership on the implementation of scalable & efficient modeling algorithms that function reliably within large-scale production systems
- Work closely with our Manager of Data Science & Engineering as well as team leads across the company to identify & execute on a wide range of opportunities for advanced data modeling & analysis, leveraging advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques
Some example projects include:
- Customer-centric problems such as churn, segmentation, product recommendation
- Fraud & anomaly detection
- Detection & prediction of various back-end events (e.g. hardware failure)
- Time-series forecasting of complex user demand patterns for capacity planning
What Well Expect From You:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- Previous experience in data science or quantitative analytics role, preferably in a high-growth company
- Comprehensive understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning & data mining concepts, & experience applying these methods within a business environment
- Strong knowledge of Python. Familiarity with at least one statistical modeling / machine learning tool such as R or Matlab is a plus, as well as experience with languages such as Scala or Go
- Expert knowledge of, & hands-on experience with, SQL
- Demonstrable critical thinking & analytical skills, including the ability & confidence to make conclusions & recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges & opportunities into actionable data-driven analysis & implementing science-driven data products
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people.We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development.We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you.We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work.We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge, & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity.We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Data & Analytics