Software Engineer, Leaderboard
The Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience when someone takes a Peloton class. The leaderboard shows a persons real time ranking or presence in the class. It is one of the most heavily used features & serves some of the heaviest traffic within the Peloton system.
- Develop & improve the in-class leaderboard user experience which include leaderboard for live classes, leaderboard for on-demand classes, leaderboard that shows peoples presence, & filtering on the leaderboard.
- Improve leaderboard performance & reliability by leveraging production monitoring/profiling/tracing & load testing tools to discover bottlenecks & using techniques such as data modeling, query optimization, & caching to address the bottlenecks.
- Evolve the architecture of various components & services in the leaderboard system. Propose, experiment, & implement solutions to scale the leaderboard to hundreds of thousands of concurrent users.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles & fundamentals including data structures & algorithms.
- Good understanding of concurrency & threading, operating system internals, & networking.
- Experience scaling large scale web applications. Good understanding of request processing, caching, queuing, data storage, partitioning, & replication. Demonstrated experience leveraging those understandings to solve scaling challenges.
- Proficient in at least one programming language, e.g., Python, Java, Kotlin, Go, C++, C.
- Self directed & detail oriented with ability to come up with good design proposals or thorough analysis of production issues.
- Experience in the following areas:
- Request Processing: Restful API endpoint design principles; Load balancing concepts; Communication & RPC protocols such as HTTP, TCP, gRPC.
- Caching: Memcache, Redis
- Relational Database: Postgres, or MySQL
- NoSQL Database: Cassandra, Dynamodb, Mongodb, etc
- Monitoring/Tracing/Profiling: Monitoring tools such as Datadog, Tracing tools such as Zipkin or Datadog APM
- Deploy platforms & tooling: Jenkins, Kubernetes
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.