WHO WE ARE
New York Magazine is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about whats now, whats next, & whats possible.
As a community of journalists & storytellers, business professionals, creators & technologists, we believe it is a moral & business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, & inclusion throughout our organization & media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, & our platforms, products, & partnerships.
WHAT YOULL DO
New York Magazine is looking for a smart, creative digital Strategist photo editor to join our photo team. The position supports writers & editors by creatively selecting imagery that illustrates stories in clever, unexpected, & impactful ways, in keeping with New York's voice.The role involves researching, selecting, cropping, retouching & uploading images to the website including assigning original photography & producing still life product shoots for both print & web. The ideal candidate will have experience in sourcing & licensing editorial images in a fast-paced, high-volume web environment. Quick thinking, an eye for detail, & strong photoshop skills are essential.
- Work with editors on The Strategist & other verticals in selecting images for blog posts across the site on tight deadlines
- Source images for design team & illustrators when needed, as well as occasional after hours events such as award shows, breaking news or other large culture events that will require photo support
- Optimize images technically & visually for publication on the web: color correction & siloing
- Coordinate retouching needs, delivery of images, & deadlines with artists
- Produce still life product shoots for print stories
- Work collaboratively with NYMag teams on special projects
- Ensure images are properly licensed; negotiate & handle license agreements with photo agencies
- Maintain image metadata to ensure accurate credit & caption information are preserved
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager or supervisor
- 2-3 years of experience in photo editing, preferably in media/publishing
- Must have experience in photo production, working in a studio setting.
- Experience shooting still life and/or portraiture, & in graphic design preferred
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Photoshop. Strong image editing skills in color-correction; selection & compositing, image sizing, batch processing & photo-manipulation are particularly important
- An ability to work independently & in collaboration with others to identify the best means of illustrating a large volume of stories with a quick turnaround
- Strong communication skills & a team player
WHO YOU ARE
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! Weve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, & sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOULL WORK
This job is flex. Were dedicated to the health & wellbeing of all of our employees, & when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves & create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products & services come from people with all manner of backgrounds & experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency & communication. Learn more about our values here, & our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, & how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.