Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely & sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes & other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science, & digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Health Coach at Virta, youll work directly with Virta patients to help reverse metabolic disease. We're looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated individuals to join our top-notch, mission-driven team. If that sounds like your dream job, wed love to tell you more about it!
- Provide patient care with science-based therapeutic tools, using an evolving digital app as your primary source of communication (includes texting, phone calls, & video chats).
- Provide ongoing coaching & education with Virta patients that primarily focuses on a personalized nutrition & care plan (nutritional ketosis via personalized carbohydrate intake with lifestyle changes that focus on sustainability).
- Collaborate with the Virta medical staff in a detailed, timely, & effective manner to address patient status changes (communicate medication changes & other physician recommendations to patients).
- Monitor & provide feedback on daily patient metrics & vitals including: weight, blood ketones, blood glucose, blood pressure, side effects, energy, cravings, hunger, & mood.
- Empathize, connect, & partner with patients to ensure personal success & sustainability using various counseling techniques including, but not limited to motivational interviewing & patient-centered goal setting.
- Help personalize every patient's treatment via daily actions & behavior change counseling.
- Review & update medications, medical history, & laboratory values, as well as document patient interactions in Virtas HIPAA-compliant portal.
- Uphold company values & maintain a strong team dynamic including sharing your specific expertise & skills with your teammates.
- Learn & incorporate new scientific findings into patient education.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Enrollment Advisors, Support Operations, & Product Teams to provide feedback & communicate coaching best practices.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Successfully take on & manage both new, current, & tenured patients; roughly fifteen new patients per week.
- Partner with our existing health coaches to learn & understand the entire patient experience, from enrollment to daily patient care & long-term patient success.
- Shadow current health coaches & learn how to successfully perform patient onboarding calls & day to day patient care.
- Shadow & learn from current health coaches the various platforms & tools needed to perform your day to day job.
- Learn & understand what key performance indicators (KPIs) are used to track health coach performance & how your day to day work impacts those metrics.
- Actively contribute to team culture, learning, and overall process improvements by providing regular continuous feedback.
- Take time to connect with & proactively get to know fellow Virtans; various leaders/teammates/teams/roles. Learn, adopt, support, & help live out the Virtan Values.
- 4-year college degree required in one of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, or other health-related field. Also: Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Registered Exercise Physiologist, Counselor or similar professional degree or certification.
- Ability to work full-time in one of the following locations: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Omaha, San Francisco or St. Louis
- Note: Due to the ongoing Covid-19 epidemic, current Virta employees are working full time remotely from home.
- Ability to work one full weekend per month & 1-2 holidays per year.
- Prior experience working with patients directly in the following areas: outpatient nutrition counseling, motivational interviewing, using and/or implementing various behavior change techniques, health coaching, health counseling, mental health counseling, etc (strongly preferred).
- Outstanding verbal & written communication skills with the ability to utilize diverse modes of communication. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences such as patients, teammates, customers, & scientific professionals.
- High EQ & empathy with the ability to work with different personalities through times of change.
- Attention to detail & strong organizational skills to help keep you on track during rapidly changing situations.
- Growth mindset & the desire to constantly learn & improve.
- Strong desire to build relationships with patients & willingness to help others as a frontline care provider.
- Unquestionable integrity, no ego.
- Comfortable using various digital platforms & a remote delivery model in a rapidly changing environment; technology literacy is a must!
- Highly motivated & able to work independently to self-manage priorities, & willing to ask for help & lean on teammates for support when needed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity & able to adjust to rapidly changing environments & expectations.
- Strong consideration for candidates with multi-lingual abilities.
- Have fun!
Virtas company values drive our culture, so youll do well if:
- You put people first & take care of yourself, your peers, & our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership & take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego & understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency & promote trust & empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based & prioritize data & science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks & rapidly iterate