We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easy for everyone.
Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, youre guaranteed to share your day with passionate & resourceful team members who are in it together.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business & we're looking for the next addition to our legal team, who will provide regulatory counsel to our product & engineering teams to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements for new product features, applications & initiatives globally & from a specifically US perspective.
As Product Regulatory Counsel, youll join a small & mighty global team & report to the General Counsel. You will partner with product managers, engineers, senior Product & Engineering leadership teams & your colleagues across the global legal department to provide timely regulatory expertise to the Product team. You will also support major business teams execute on their expansion roadmaps from a commercial & technology perspective in compliance with applicable regulatory regimes.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills & an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal & business teams.
Review all new products & features:
- Provide counsel on regulatory requirements for all new product features & applications prior to launch-to-market
Support Major Business Units Execute on Commercial & Product Expansion Roadmaps:
- Provide regulatory counsel to Ocean, Air and/or Customs business teams
- Review transportation contracts for the ocean, air and/or customs business teams (ocean carrier contracts, air charter contracts, various customs & trade advisory vendors & partners)
- Work closely with Flexport's Global Compliance Team to create appropriate compliance policies & procedures, as we expand & scale our business
You should have:
- JD & bar admission to practice
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in transportation regulatory counsel in the US (in all or some of the following areas: FMC/maritime law, US customs law, aviation)
- In-house experience
- Experience counseling on trade regulations as it pertains to product legal issues for technology/product/engineering teams in-house is a major plus
- Experience working with international teams in various time zones in a cross-functional environment
- Impeccable written & oral communication skills, & high attention to detail, with excellent legal & business judgment
- The ability to work on your own & prioritize multiple (often competing) deliverables while managing expectations & meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills & the ability to coordinate effectively & gain trust & confidence with personnel at many different levels
- The ability to work as a team player of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous & accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across different types of projects & time zones
- The ability to interact with internal clients & colleagues as well as while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, & thorough manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.