Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About the Team:
We're a technical group of people working in a relaxed environment with various demanding infrastructure needs with a high standard of careful, detail-oriented, responsive professionalism.
We manage a hybrid architecture with a multi-petabyte compute cluster & multi-million dollar AWS infrastructure. We heavily use & contribute to open source systems & aggressively build, adopt, & deploy new technologies & capabilities.
About the Role:
This is a great opportunity to manage serious infrastructure that is servicing large volumes of data & traffic, work with a large & outstanding engineering team, & employ state-of-the-art tools & techniques.
- Evaluate & implement technologies that improve efficiency, performance & reliability
- Develop & deliver creative solutions that enable engineering teams
- Build reliable systems at scale
- Support & enable engineering teams at Foursquare
- Drive improvements in capacity, reliability, availability & performance of core systems
- Participate in on-call rotation duties
- Extensive production *NIX experience & shell scripting
- Ability to write code in Ruby/Python/Go/Perl or similar to solve automation/glue problems & develop effective tooling.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code techniques & practices.
- Extensive knowledge of at least one configuration management system (Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt).
- Experience with modern observability/monitoring systems.
- Significant experience with at least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Strong understanding of network fundamentals, TCP/IP & related services.
- Exposure to big data & data pipelines is a plus, particularly with the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience with CI/CD systems & datacenter/colo management with appropriate automation & abstraction
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.