SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
DEVELOPMENT TEST ENGINEER, STRUCTURES (STARSHIP)
This position is a test engineer for the Starship Structural Test team. The team develops, design, builds, & executes large system-level static & dynamic structural tests. The test engineer role is highly multidisciplinary.
- Work with vehicle engineers to develop & execute static & dynamic system level structural tests from conception, including test article & test stand configuration, boundary conditions, fluid, electrical, & software schematics, & concept of operations
- Design, modify, & build mechanical systems. Systems include small lugs & brackets through large structural weldments
- Design, modify, build, & troubleshoot fluid systems, including low to high pressure gaseous working fluids, rocket propellants (including cryogenic propellants), & hydraulic load control systems
- Design, modify, build, & troubleshoot data acquisition & control systems, wiring, & instrumentation. DAQ systems are primarily NI based & instruments include strain gages, pressure transducers, deflection gages, load cells, thermocouples, & RTDs
- Develop & maintain test procedures, sequences, scripts, configuration files, & software
- Operate the test stand from test assembly & activation through test execution with a small team of engineers & technicians
- Review data manually or using automatic scripts
- Provide daily direction & instruction to technicians to integrate test articles & hardware (install instrumentation & wiring, assemble small & large mechanical components, repair metallic structures, pressurize & functional check of pressure systems, lift & transport large structures)
- Bachelors degree in engineering or other technical field
- 1+ years experience with testing, mechanical or data acquisition & control system design (internships & college competition experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong technical skills in one or more of the following areas: mechanical or structural design, data acquisition & instrumentation, programming, fluid & hydraulic design or operation, structural testing
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills or adapt to new situations. Unphased by challenges that go beyond the traditional comfort zone or experience. Multidisciplinary approach to problem solving
- Experience in project ownership under technical & schedule pressure & where the scope & definition was limited
- Experience testing & operating with or around hazardous systems (high pressure, high energy, hazardous gases & fluids, etc.)
- Experience working on projects that involve the integration of electrical, mechanical, & software systems (launch vehicle and/or spacecraft experience is not required)
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters, so physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings & climbing hand over hand
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, & noise
- Schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.