Fastly is looking for an outstanding Manager Customer Support Engineering EMEA to join our team & lead the Customer Support Engineers across the region. This role will help shape the future of great customer service in our industry, & you'll have an amazing structure around you to ensure success.
Fastly has built one of the strongest reputations for great customer service & support organisations in the technology space. As Manager Customer Support Engineering EMEA, you'll be directly responsible for maintaining & improving this reputation, along with training & growing your team of direct reports. You should either have extensive experience with customer support or have a background as a technical operations team lead with responsibility for the coordination of infrastructure vendors. You should have opinions on todays customer support in the enterprise software world & ideas on how to improve it.
Support is a team effort, training & mentorship form the foundations of this role. You'll be expected to lead by example, & your primary focus will be leveling up our EMEA support organisation as an amplifier. This aspect of your work will not be limited to your direct team: Fastly support works intimately with our marketing, sales, engineering, product, & business intelligence organisations on a daily basis. You will serve as a voice & representative of the customer in that work.
From a technical perspective, you should be familiar with debugging technical tools within a *nix environment. You should have a medium to high-level overview of how large scale operations & distributed systems work. You should have some development experience, even if all you do now is hack on a few weekend projects to blow off steam. Fastlys incredibly wide & deep technical scope ranges from hardware architecture & kernel optimisation to BGP-based traffic engineering to API design. We don't expect you to come in knowing everything, but you should be skilled in one area & willing to quickly get familiar with the rest of our operations.
- Work with our global support director to manage the Europe-based portion of our support team. This work consists of:
- Mentoring & growing the individuals on your team.
- Ensuring quality control as we scale.
- Assisting in hiring & training.
- Conducting status reviews.
- Continuing & improving support quality, per our organization KPIs.
- Contribute to & help build the future of Fastly support. This will involve:
- Working within our support org to create new processes to scale support quality.
- Working with our product & client services organisation to shape premium support packages.
- Working within your team & the greater client services organisation to improve our internal tools.
- Interface with other teams throughout Fastly, including our marketing, sales, product, & engineering groups, as well as the greater client services organisation.
- You have 3 or more years in a technical, customer-impacting environment with 1 or more years in a management capacity.
- You have teaching & training experience, & the ability to connect with all types of learning & working styles.
- You have the technical background & curiosity to debug systems from end to end, or the patience & aptitude to learn quickly while doing.
- You are comfortable with debugging in a *nix environment, understand the HTTP request/response cycle, & familiar with one or more programming language. This includes using cURL, traceroute, dig & other network diagnostic tools.
- You have excellent verbal & written communication skills, & familiar with working on a distributed team.
- You have a proven track record of highly-professional, yet highly-personalized customer service in an enterprise environment.
- You have opinions on the state of customer support in our industry, & you have ideas on how to raise the bar.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience required, major in engineering, computer science, or MIS a plus.