Do you enjoy crafting powerful UIs that provide a delightful customer experience? Does the notion of building a product that empowers users around the globe sound compelling? Do you lead by example, & have a passion for coaching & mentorship? If the answers are yes, come talk to us about our Appian Experience Tribe!
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership in a specific technology layer or area of the product & are responsible for the professional growth & development of engineers working in that layer. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring & coaching to a small group of junior software engineers to improve their skills in a specific technology layer while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers are servant/leaders who should enjoy helping groups succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) & 25% managing direct reports. If an MSD is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be reduced (to roughly 30%). The ideal candidate will want to cultivate & fuel a passion in their direct reports for developing beautiful, functional, & accessible UI components for the Appian platform.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & design patterns to write software in a full-stack web & mobile environment.
- Applies thoughtful interactive & visual design principles for a positive & cohesive user experience.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices & faster development.
- Deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews & technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring & coaching.
- Develop & guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Provide input to create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team & departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning & growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises & bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 6+ years in software development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.