Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love.
We are looking for a Systems Engineer with outstanding communication skills to build bridges across different parts of the Cloud Engineering organization. Reporting to the Senior Manager this person will transform mundane systems into massive data grids. They'll also help development teams design & implement product & development environments & address system needs in new & creative ways that go beyond traditional infrastructure methods.
Systems Engineers at DigitalOcean are the glue between software & infrastructure engineering. They are responsible for driving cross functional work across all parts of our software & systems stack, ensuring that services are healthy & performant to drive the delivery of both internal & external services. This role is a mix of software & systems engineering & the team is composed of people with backgrounds in both disciplines.
This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC & Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Improve all aspects of reliability, including monitoring, availability, & documentation
- Design & develop new systems with an emphasis on minimized maintenance requirements, as well as maintain & enhance existing systems.
- Systems analysis design & debugging of new systems.
- Work with outstanding teams to improve tools, processes, & the software they support
- Managing development, testing, & production devices & physical server infrastructure
- Do ad-hoc service capacity planning, maintenance & SLA/SLO definition for teams.
- Managing capacity, designing systems architecture & performing technology refreshes
- Participate in production readiness reviews & provide feedback to engineering teams on best practices.
- Automate error-prone tasks to drive safety & determinism throughout complex distributed systems
- Debug mission critical problems in production
- Provide architecture & scaling guidance where necessary for all engineering teams
- Develop modules to communicate with various systems such as network devices, storage farms & servers
- Using languages & tools such as: Go, C/C++, Perl, KVM, libvirt, QEMU, OVS, Git, Ubuntu Linux
What We Expect From You:
- Experience as a software engineer, developer, or systems programmer in a large scale, distributed environment.
- Experience writing secure, testable & robust object-oriented code.
- Experience with one or more of the following languages: GoLang, C/C++, Perl, Python
- Deep understanding of operating systems, virtualization, Linux internals & networking
- A track record of measurement, analysis, & critical technical problem solving in a fast-paced environment
- Experience proactively addressing software & systems reliability issues across all layers in the stack with the capacity to troubleshoot across network, database, OS & code as needed.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- An aim to design & build large, distributed systems
- A dedication to solve problems & deliver solutions
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge, & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!