ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of writers & editors from a range of media backgrounds, with a keen understanding of how to produce high-quality journalism in a voice that appeals to millennial women. The SEO writer will be a crucial part of our editorial team as we build out our evergreen & trending service content across categories, bringing new & diverse audiences to theSkimm & helping our existing audience members navigate the necessity-driven areas of their lives.
You will work closely with the SkimmWell web team to research, write, fact-check, & create search-optimized new articles for the Well vertical. This position would report to the Senior Editor of Well with a dotted line to the Senior Service Editor.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Pitch, research, write & fact-check short & long form service content, with a strong focus on SEO best practices
- Conduct original reporting to bolster service content
- Update existing stories on theSkimm.com
- Build articles for the web
- Use site traffic & additional search data to inform story choices
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 2-3 years professional writing experience (Bonus points for experience writing health content)
- Experience working in a CMS
- Experience interviewing experts (bonus if you come with your own rolodex of go-to sources)
- Excellent writing & editorial judgment
- Experience with research & fact-checking
- Experience with SEO best practices
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission, & the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter & a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- You already read & love theSkimm
- You are a strong writer & reporter, with the clips to prove it
- You have experience with implementing SEO best practices in your writing
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work. While our employees are continuing to work remotely throughout the remainder of 2021, we are excited to return to HQ in New York, NY next year. Beginning in January 2022, the office will be open Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday & NY metro area employees will come together in person a minimum of 3 days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employee & they may go in as often as they'd like.
We will require vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations for any additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
Please attach your resume & a cover letter. We're looking for voice, wit, & humor, so to the extent that you can, please write your cover letter in the style of a Daily Skimm newsletter.