As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York magazine does. Editors aim to strike the perfect balance of content thats sharp, provocative, useful, & sometimes funny while other times deadly serious; the magazine aims to give its readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, as well as the unexpected & literary pleasures of excellent magazine journalism.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for driving editorial strategy to develop high-concept, ambitious journalistic projects, & will be responsible for coordinating the editorial, design, & distribution efforts behind them. They will partner across verticals & creative teams internally to identify opportunities to create or reimagine original content in new formats for a diverse audience. The ideal person will bring order, energy, & creative solutions to the most in-demand, socially & culturally relevant topics of our time.
- Drive editorial vision & strategy for creative & ambitious editorial projects that expand our voice & reach, both on- & off-platform, including editorial packages, features, live events, social/community/engagement, audio/video, etc.
- Conceptualize, incubate, & manage long-term projects, working collaboratively with editorial leadership & staff across the New York Magazine verticals.
- Collaborate with internal partners (marketing/events, revenue, communications, podcast, product, etc) to execute original, large scale projects & optimize content.
- Continue to develop the impressive roster of writers & editors currently working on New York Magazine by networking amongst & finding new voices that should be in our pages, both print & online.
- Work with editors & reporters across beats, manage content from contributors, & partner with external talent.
- Assign, edit, & plan a wide variety of editorial stories & projects.
- 5+ years of experience as an editor, producer, or editorial project manager, with an emphasis on leveraging new/emerging platforms along with print media.
- Commitment to smart & engaging storytelling, social listening, & creating meaningful editorial experiences for a diverse audience.
- Adept at working across different beats/topics, & assigning & editing journalists at many levels.
- A track record of consistent & productive collaboration with section editors, producers, & creative teams to create feature-length packages that include multimedia assets.
- Possess a bottomless list of fresh ideas for stories, multimedia experiences, & new ways to engage with our audience.
- Comfort working within the 24/7 news cycle & an ability to meet deadlines.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.