Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will be interested in building scalable data pipelines, ELT processes, supporting our ERP & POS implementation & other critical projects. You will report to the Senior Manager, Data Engineering and be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Build, own & operate scalable data pipelines & related data warehouse for our e-commerce platform, ERP, 3PLs & our 3rd party services supporting our business requirements
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, & fellow engineers to build & plan reliable & robust systems
- Mentor other engineers in the team & guide them through code reviews & other process improvements
- Implement systems to catch bugs & monitor data quality, ensuring our production data is always accurate & available for key stakeholders & business processes that depend on it
- Push & refine our technology, data structures, & creative practices
Who you are:
- Minimum 5+ years of professional data engineering experience
- Minimum 4+ year experience building data pipelines using Python
- Minimum 4+ years experience with distributed data storage systems/formats & data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift or other Big data systems
- Minimum 2+ years experience in building data pipelines to stream messages with good exposure to handling failure scenarios
- Must have in-depth understanding of relational databases, including SQL
- Must have experience working with IPaasS such as Boomi, Mulesoft, etc.
- Must have experience working with Airflow DAGs
- Basic understanding of Linux/Unix commands required
- Experience working & processing large datasets, & techniques for working with data in volume effectively
- Experience working with batch processing/real-time systems
- Experience with ERPs or implementation, ideal
- Experience with Heroku is preferred
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) & Test Driven Development preferred
- Ability to work independently & come up with thoughts to improve processes
- Team player with a no task is too small attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on & has since expanded to offer an array of luggage & travel essentials built for the modern traveler. Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London & Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Companys Worlds Most Innovative Companies & has been recognized on TIMEs list of Best Inventions. To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture & a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, & sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.